Chapter 2

My final History lecture was nice, it's safe to say I'm going to miss them, but I'm glad to be going home for a while. College is nice for a change, but my heart yearns for the comfort of family and friends, neither of which I have loads of.

I left for home straight after the lecture, packing my bag into the small and ancient Ford Fiesta. I sat in the driver's seat after saying bye to Marnie and twisted the key in the ignition. Usually, it splutters to life after some coaxing, but not today. In the end, I had to get a bus to the train station and go by train.

That was seven hours ago. It's now early evening, I'm waiting at some small change over station in the middle of nowhere. It's not so bad, the sun is setting, displaying the warm pink and orange colours, there's no wind, minimal people and thankfully, I have a cup of tea. I arrived just before the small café shut and managed to buy one.

Out of nowhere, there's a loud bing, signalling the beginning of a public announcement: "All westbound trains have been delayed by two hours, some by more, due to reports of stormy conditions. Every precaution is being taken to ensure a safe journey. For more information on specific trains visit the kiosk, thank you for your patience." There's another loud bing as the PA turns off. In all honesty, I wouldn't have thought a small station like this would have had a PA system.

"Great," I say through gritted teeth, my whole body deflating.

I reach into my pocket for my mobile, unlocking it to punch the numbers in.

"Pick up, pick up, pick up," I whisper over and over, as the dial tone carries endlessly on. "Pick up."

The voice mail kicks in after a few good minutes: "Hi, this is Anna. I can't get to the phone right now, so please leave a message."

I hang up to try once more. It goes in to voicemail again.

"Anna, it's me. I had to get the train, which is now delayed, so I'm not sure when I'm arriving. Apparently, it's stormy your way!?" I hate leaving messages. "I er... I'll see you."

I put my phone away, and stand up and walk aimlessly around the station for the best part of half an hour, before deciding to find a toilet.

***

"TWO HOURS MY ARSE ANNA!" I shout down the phone. "It's still not here, but according to the conductor, it will be soon." I end the message for the third time this evening.

The train was supposed to arrive at 9:00 pm but was then delayed again by an hour. It's now 11:45 pm and still a no-show. It started to rain, the bitter wind swept it into the station. Being summer, I hadn't brought a coat and was definitely regretting that decision. I tried to shield myself by standing in an alcove, but it offered little protection to me, so now I'm standing drenched on the station platform. My hair's sticking to me and my clothes are hugging my body uncomfortably, God knows what my makeup looks like.

I was almost completely and utterly alone, save for the man who had sat on the same bench for hours, umbrella up and coat pulled tightly around his body. I bet even he too was a little wet.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and wrap my hands around it, but the water touched the surface anyway. I tapped the screen, bringing up the time: 12:00 am.

"Great" I sarcastically say to myself.

The man on the bench looks at me, as if only realising I was here, before standing up and heading towards the track. I too can hear the low rumble. Thunder? No. I walk to the platform edge and look around, the iron tracks are vibrating and the low rumble is louder and getting closer.

"Yes," I almost scream.

In the distance, I could see the lights of the train rounding the corner, so I return to the alcove to collect my bag and stand on the platform ready. As the train pulls in I see the black figure, but it's no longer black. Instead, it's wearing the face from my flat, with its ivory skin and blue eyes, staring back at me. However, as the carriage passes he vanishes, leaving me staring through the carriage windows and onto the platform opposite. I can't draw my eyes from the spot he stood in, nor can I move my body; I'm frozen in place.