Chapter 41

//Carl's POV

After Enid and I got done talking, we decided to sit on a bench and watch the rest of the conversation between my dad and Negan.

As Negan walked away, he pulled Tess with him and it took me everything I had not to get up and tackle him.

Suddenly, she made eye contact with me, shooting me a sad, broken, pleading look. I averted my gaze to my feet and she was shoved into the back of a truck.

I looked over at Enid as she spoke.

"I gotta go home," she said. "I'll see you later."

I nodded and she touched my arm before getting up and walking away.

I sighed and glanced up to see my dad starting to look at me.

"Shit," I breathed and quickly got up and started to walk home.

"Carl!" my dad called. I sighed and squeezed my eye shut in frustration.

I could feel him stop behind me.

When I didn't respond, he sighed.

"You dated Tess?" he asked, obvious anger in his voice. "Why?"

I gave a bitter laugh and turned to look him.

"Do you really think I knew she was working for Negan?" I asked forcefully. "She told me herself that she wasn't a Savior!"

"I don't know, it seems to me like you might've helped her," he accused. "With how much you probably sneaked out to go see her."

Angry and offended, I stepped toward him. "Screw you," I got out. "Maybe I kept seeing her because she was the only one that actually got me. When were you ever there for me? You never were. Because you were too wrapped up in yourself. You deserted me. She was there!"

And with that I turned and walked away.

Suddenly, I stopped and turned to look at him slightly.

"And if you think that I actually helped the people that killed Michonne," I said quietly. "Then you're clearly not my dad."

Not willing to look at the hurt on his face, I turned quickly and ran home.

//Enid's POV

I woke up to the sound of knocking on my window.

Rubbing the grogginess out of my eyes, I looked for the source of the noise.

That was when I saw Carl, crouching in my roof, knocking on my window.

Shocked, I glanced at my knock.

12:30 a.m.

I quickly got out of bed and walked over to the window, unlocking it and pulling it up.

"Carl?" I said in utter confusion.

"Hey," he said breathlessly. "Can I come in?"

"Um," I mumbled before stepping to the side. "Sure."

He climbed in and causally laid down on my bed, his hand pressed to his forehead.

I closed the window before turning to him.

"Not trying to be rude," I started. "But what are you doing here?"

Carl sighed. "I needed to get out," he answered. "Away from my dad's glare. It's like he can't realize that I know he's pissed at me. How was I supposed to know that Tess was gonna attack?"

Afraid that I was about to say the wrong thing, I cautiously stepped towards him.

"Carl," I started. "I don't think Tess ordered that attack."

Carl looked at me in shock as I sat down in front of him. "Really?" he asked.

"I mean," I said hurriedly, wanting to defend myself. "I'm not Tess's biggest fan, but she really doesn't seem like the kind of person to do this."

"Negan said it was her," he reminded me.

I chuckled slightly. "You're really counting on Negan to tell you the truth?"

To that, he had no response. He stared down at the bed sheet.

"And plus," I went on. "I know you're still into her."

He looked up at me sharply. After a moment, he sighed.

"Does that make me a bad person?" he asked, his voice small.

I shook my head. "It makes you human."

He nodded a little. "Could we um...do something that doesn't have to do with Tess?"

I smiled a little. "Sure," I answered. I was definitely okay with that.

After a moment, I got an idea.

Getting up from the bed, I walked over to my stereo and popped a CD in.

"I hope you like the Strumbellas," I called quietly.

I heard him get up behind me.

After a moment, the song "Spirits" started playing.

I got guns in my head and they won't go.

Spirits in my head and they won't go.

I got guns in my head and they won't go.

Spirits in my head and they won't...

I turned around to see Carl walking up to me.

He put on a playfully proper look and held out his hand.

I chuckled and smiled at him, taking his hand.

He led me to the middle of my room before slowly spinning me in a circle.

I chuckled. "You can dance?" I asked.

"No," he said casually, causing me to laugh even harder.

We continued to dance around the room like idiots, and by the end of the song, we were having trouble breathing from how hard we were laughing. It was nice to clear our heads, to just be there together, doing something relatively normal.

When we were finally able to calm down, I noticed how close we were.

There was a few moments of awkward silence and all I could hear was our heavy breaths.

I didn't know why I was so nervous. I had kissed him before. But that kiss was so sudden and unexpected. This one felt more...I don't know, real.

We jumped apart when I head a voice from downstairs.

"Enid? What are you doing up there?"

It was Olivia's voice. I then head steps coming up the stairs.

"Shit," I whispered and turned to Carl.

"You have to get out of here," I told him. "If Olivia sees you, she'll have a heart attack."

He nodded quickly and ran to the window, opening it and quickly climbing though.

Soon enough, he was out of sight.

Immediately after, Olivia opened the door, looking frantically around the room.

"Hey, Olivia," I greeted, trying to sound casual. "Sorry I woke you up. I couldn't sleep so I decided to play some music."

After I convinced her to leave, I laid back down.

I couldn't fall asleep for around an hour because one thought kept running through my mind.

I am so in love with this guy.