Chapter 16

Carl's POV

After successfully climbing over the wall, I saw my dad talking to Michonne.

"Shit," I said under my breath and tried to sneak past them.

But, of course, when I was almost out of their eyesight, I heard, "Carl!"

I sighed in disappointment and turned to see my dad and Michonne walkig up to me.

"Yeah?" I asked, trying to sound innocent.

"I did not tell you to go out hunting!" my dad yelled. "You lied to Michonne, but what's worse, you lied to Enid! Carl, you are her best friend, she would do anything for you. I'm pretty sure lying is not a good way to repay her. Now why did you go out there?"

"Do you know where Enid is?" I asked, ignoring his question.

"She's by the lake," he answered, waving off the question. "Now why were you out there?"

But I was already heading off. "I'll explain later, dad!" I called.

I heard him and Michonne calling after me, but I ignored them.

Approaching the lake, I could see Enid sitting at the edge of the dock, playing with her gun, a frown on her face.

I immediately felt really guilty. Enid was my best friend. How could I just neglect her like I did?

Sighing I walked to the end of the dock.

I gestured to the spot next to her.

"Is this spot taken?" I asked softly.

Enid turned to face me in surprise. When she realized it was me, she sighed sadly and nodded, setting her 9mm behind her.

I grunted as I sat down, letting my legs hang over the edge.

I glanced over at Enid. She kept her eyes on her hands that were in her lap. I realized how sad and lonely she must've been.

"I'm sorry I've been lying to you," I murmured. "I never wanted to. I just felt like I had to."

After a moment, keeping her eyes on her hands, she quietly asked, "Where did you really go today?"

"To hang out with Tess," I said hesitantly.

Obviously not liking my answer, she looked over at me. "You barely know her," she pointed out.

"Enid, she saved my group," I reminded her. "Why would she do that if she wanted us dead?"

She sighed and glanced away from me. "I just don't want anything to happen to you," she murmured.

I smiled slightly and put my arm around her shoulders. "I'll be fine," I assured her. "After all, I've lived with you for so long, haven't I?"

Enid smiled and looked up at me slightly.

"And don't worry," I continued. "You're still my best friend."

Her smile grew wider and she rested her head on my shoulder, snuggling into my side.

As we looked out onto the lake, I blushed slightly as I felt tiny butterflies flying around in my stomach.

---------------------------------------------
Author's Note: I am wearing warm pajamas, fuzzy socks and slippers, and I have a blanket on, and I'm still cold. Let me put in my pumpkin head real quick.

Also, is Carl starting to have feelings for Enid? 😏😏