Chapter 40

//Carl's POV

I watched as Enid finally took out the last Savior.

After he fell to the ground, she turned to me with a grave look on her face.

I copied her look and we started walking through the community, looking for survivors.

"Feels like this place can't go two months without getting attacked," she mumbled, her voice vulnerable. "Who would do this?"

I sighed. "Negan," I answered hardly. I had to stop myself from saying Tess. And to think I trusted her.

When she didn't respond, I, almost without thinking, reached over and grabbed Enid's hand, intertwining our fingers.

We both tensed up for a moment, but neither of us pulled away.

Enid sighed sadly as we saw Derick's lifeless body lining the street.

We were almost relaxed when we saw Glenn and Maggie crouched over someone, worried and terrified looks on their face.

I recognized the person immediately. Enid seemed to, as well.

"No," I whispered and we both ran over.

Glenn and Maggie got out of the way as I got down next to Michonne.

She was dying.

"Michonne, no," I whispered. She had a wound in her stomach that was bleeding profusely.

"Why haven't you gotten bandages?!" I shouted at the couple.

"Eugene's getting them," she told me, sounding choked up.

I watched as Michonne smiled shakily and put her hand on my cheek, wiping away a tear.

I forced a smile, but it took everything in me to not start crying.

I felt a hand on my back and I didn't need to turn around to know it was Enid's.

Michonne lowered her hand before closing her eyes, letting go of her last breath.

"M-Michonne?" I stuttered, refusing to believe that she was dead. "Michonne?!"

I felt Enid slide her hand around my shoulders and I finally turned towards her, crying into her chest as she hugged me.

After a moment, I looked up to see my dad staring at us, a look of horror on his face.

Michonne was his girlfriend. And she was gone.

Immediately after, I heard the sound of the gate opening. I turned toward the noise to see a bunch of Saviors crowding the entrance.

I looked back at my dad. His expression turned from grief to anger and he started walking towards them.

"Dad," I called out weakly, trying to stop him. "Dad!"

Enid grabbed my hand and pulled me to my feet, lightly pulling me along.

//Rick's POV

I walked up to stand in front of the Saviors as Glenn, Maggie, Abraham, Rosita, Eugene, Aaron, Daryl, Carl, and Enid gathered behind me.

None of us said anything before I watched as Negan walked into the middle of the group, a sly smile on his face.

"I thought we had a deal," I said roughly.

He smiled, putting his hands up in surrender.

"Hey," he defended. "As much as I would love to take the credit for all this, I didn't order this attack."

I raised my eyebrows at him and he smiled again, reaching into the group of people to his right before pulling someone out by their arm.

Tess.

I just stared at her in shock. She wouldn't meet my eyes.

She gave us up? I trusted her.

Finally, raised her head a little to look at me. Her eyes were full of sadness and helplessness.

"Rick, please-" she started, her voice broken.

"Shut up," Negan cut her off. "She did. And we were able to attack all thanks to the little relationship she had with your boy."

Stunned and angry, I turned around to look at Carl.

He immediately stared down at his feet, his mouth open slightly, before quickly turning around and walking away.

Enid glanced at us for a moment before sighing and following him, calling for him to wait for her.

I slowly turned back to look at Negan as he continued to talk, not being able to get my mind off of the fact that Carl dated our enemy.

//Carl's POV

I knew that Tess was the reason Alexandria was attacked, but somehow seeing her with Negan made it so much more real. It actually kind of broke my heart to see her with him. She looked so hurt. But it didn't change anything. She still attacked us...she killed Michonne.

"Carl!" I heard a voice call behind me. I knew it was Enid's, but it was like I was numb to everything. I just kept walking

After a moment, I felt her hand on my arm.

I sighed and stopped walking, turning to her.

She took a deep breath. "I'm sorry," she said sincerely.

I breathed heavily and shook my head. "She killed Michonne. I'm not sorry."

It was like she could see right through me. She simply gave a sad sigh and pulled me into a hug.

After some hesitation, I reciprocated it, burying my face in her shoulder.

I started to feel an emotion that wasn't sadness. They were these butterflies in my stomach that seemed to larger the longer I hugged her.

---------------------------------------------
Author's Note: I'm gonna guess that this chapter made people who don't like Tess/Carnid shippers really happy lol