Chapter 36

//Carl's POV

I walked down the streets of Alexandria after my shift was done. I watched as the trees seemed to cut up the sunlight into sections as it set.

I was torn out of a deep thought when I saw Enid sitting by the lake.

Stopping in my tracks, I just looked at her. Seeing her by the lake wasn't a surprise. She went there almost every day. Instead, I was noticing the subtleties. The way her hair blew slightly in the breeze. The frown on her face contradicted the way the sunlight lit her up. Her gun sat beside her. Her hand was twitching a little, almost like she wanted to have her gun in her hand, but she was resisting.

I sighed and walked up to her, trying to ignore tiny butterflies flying around in my stomach.

She turned to look at me as I stopped beside her.

I gestured to the space next to her.

"Is this spot taken?" I asked.

She sighed and simply looked back out at the lake, the frown not leaving her face.

I took that as a no and sat down next to her.

I became serious. "We have to talk about it," I reminded Enid softly, referring to the kiss.

"No, we don't," she denied, her voice as quiet as mine, just harder.

"Yes, we do," I pushed, raising my voice to normal.

She exhaled loudly and finally looked at me.

"What's there to talk about?" she asked. "You have a girlfriend."

My eyes-or...eye, I guess-widened. "You know?" I asked weakly.

"Oh, come on," she whispered. "Do you think I'm a dumbass?"

When I didn't respond, she continued. "It doesn't even matter," she claimed, her voice back to normal. "Because I have a boyfriend."

My eyebrows scrunched together in a mix between shock and confusion. "Derick?" I asked.

She gave me a big smile that said Yep, that's him. Problem?

"You're dating him," I stated, not wanting to believe it.

"Yeah," she confirmed. "And you're dating Tess. What is there to talk about, Carl?"

And with that, she picked up her gun and walked away, leaving me to sit in total shock.

---------------------------------------------
Author's Note: So I guess Enick (?) is a thing now. How do you think that will go?