*12*

Written: 17th January 2014
Rewritten: 4th July 2018

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Third Person POV

There's so much that I would say, if I could see you one last time

A single white rose was the target of Jace's attention. The green of the stem and the gold of his eyes and hair were the only colours, the rest of Jace was white. He wanted to snap the rose in half and throw it away, but he couldn't, shouldn't. She deserved peace, deserved to rest. She deserved this white rose, considering this was the first time he bought a flower for her. He ran his fingers along the stem, twirling it around, as if he had never seen anything like it. He cursed as his finger nicked one of the thorns.

But now I can't 'cause you're not here but you're always on my mind

He watched with sickening curiosity as a drop of blood swelled on his finger before running down his hand.

'Sebastian taunted, letting the knife slip and nick her neck. Clary gasped in pain...he didn't even notice Sebastian hurting her, but the blood stain down Clary's clothes was proof...as he withdrew his knife from his sister's neck. The knife re--entered her body from a different angle and another angle and another, until Sebastian's hands were drenched in blood. Until you couldn't tell her long her hair was because you didn't know where the hair stopped and the blood began'

I look up when you're not there, when I lie awake at night

He blinked back the memories and a sound of terror escaped him. His hands were stained in red. Stained with blood. They shook with terror, as his eyes travelled up his arm and finally landing on the mirror in front of him. His previously white suit was red, dark red. There were patterns in the blood that were unnatural. His gaze wandered back to his room and adjusted to the sight. There were blood splatters all over the room. Leading back to his bed. He clenched his eyes shut, he didn't want to see the bed, didn't want to see who lay in the bed. But he knew. He knew when he opened his eyes, he'd see his love dead. His knees gave out and he helped in pain as the floor came rushing up to meet him. It was his fault she was dead.

All these things I ask myself, I don't why

Alec and Isabelle heard a crash come from Jace's room. As they opened the door, tears pricked their eyes. Their brother was curled up on the floor, shaking his crying head, whispering 'mea culpa, my fault.' Isabelle ran to his side, rubbing his shoulder and arm, murmuring comforting words. Alec was stunned in the doorway. He had never seen someone so broken, like Jace was now. It was at this moment, that Alec knew Jace would never recover from this. Not completely.

When it's the first time that you'll never see someone again

That was how Maryse found her children, huddled together on the floor of Jace's room. His white rose was discarded underneath his mirror, with a single drop of blood staining the petals. She smiled sadly, she was glad that they found comfort in each other, but Clary shouldn't have had to die for this to happen. It would take a lot of recovery for these kids to get over this. It wasn't fair. Yes they were raised as shadowhunters, learning how to kill demons from a young age, but they shouldn't have to lose a friend so young. She could only imagine how Jocelyn and Luke were dealing.

When it's the last time you weren't ready for it end

Eventually Isabelle and Alec untangled themselves from Jace and retreated. Their brother had fallen asleep with tears drying his cheeks. Alec wrapped his arms around his sister as they left his room. The next few days, weeks, maybe even months would be increasingly hard. For everyone. Clary had been such a huge part of their lives, for such a short while. Nothing would ever be the same again.