Chapter 26 - Twins

(Flashback)

Little 9 year-old Jay gathered his best friends underneath the slide, giving Jungwon a box and a key to Yeji. "Make sure to keep these safe until I get back." He told the two, making them look at him weirdly.

"Get back from where?" Jungwon asked. The assumed, Jay would have another trip abroad for Sunghoon's figure skating competition. Or maybe just another trip abroad just because they're rich.

"I might be gone for a long time." He told them, causing another long pause and silence.

Jay wanted to cry then because he'd be separated with his friends and Sunghoon as well. He's going to have to start again, which would be hard. A person like him needs effort to adjust to a new environment.

"Take care of Yeji for me. Always remember, she's our princess." Jay told Jungwon, so Yeji would expect Jungwon to take care of her and Jungwon won't be shy to take care of Yeji. This way, they would stick together.

He was so wrong.

Two weeks after he left, Yeji stopped going to the playground and Jungwon just played ball with his usual playmates. They disregarded each other's presence just because it hurts. Being together without Jay is just to painful for the two of them.

Fast forward to four years later, middle school. They started talking again.

One day, the two were both at the clinic. Yeji didn't eat dinner and breakfast, she was drowsy, while Jungwon twisted his ankle while playing soccer.

Silence took over once the school nurse left at lunch time. Jungwon turned to face Yeji, pushing away the curtains that separate the two of them. Her eyes were closed, but he knew very much that she's awake.

"Are you alright?" He asked awkwardly, but at least he tried his best. Jungwon like Yeji since they were little, though he denies it and don't make it too obvious. For four years now he kept thinking of what might've been, if only they didn't ignore each other.

Maybe it's time to face reality and finally talk to her again.

"I need to rest Jungwon." She said and turned her back on him.

"Wow! You still know my name. That's good." Jungwon laid back down in his bed and stared at the ceiling.

"You act like it's me who has forgotten, while all you do is play basketball and soccer with Minhee and Jungmo." Yeji told him. "What would Jay tell you if he's here? I miss him so much." She said as her tears escaped her eyes.

But of course Jungwon can't see it because she has her back turned to him.

Yeji was having a hard time with no friends for a while and felt like Jungwon dropped her to play with other kids. It was only Jay who left but why did does it seems like Jungwon's gone as well?

"Jay said he'd be back. Wait till I tell him everything." Yeji said making Jungwon envy Jay. Of course people would only miss those who left. Why would you miss a person who's right beside you all the time?

"Fine, wait till he gets back then." Jungwon turned his back from Yeji and closed his eyes, wishing this ends soon because it was unbearable.

One day, Jungwon saw Yeji start to adjust and have friends. During dismissal, he waited till everybody's out and blocked Yeji's way out. "It looks like you don't need me anymore." He muttered.

Yeji smirked at him, "you made sure of that." She said and pushed passed him.

Jungwon watched her walk away from him. Since then they just pretend they were never once close and just interested occasionally, avoiding each other as much as possible.