Chapter 37- Magical

Start from the beginning

"Thanks," I said and batted away the smoke.

"Start opening the windows!" I heard mom call from the other room.

I jogged over to the windows above the sink, opening them to let the smoke out.

Carmen put on the oven mitts and reached in the oven, taking out the burnt lasagna.

I sighed and scratched my head, wondering how mom could've messed up store bought lasagna.

"I'm sorry girls," mom said coming into the kitchen sounding defeated. "I made the oven too hot," she muttered and threw the empty box into the trash.

"It's okay, mom. There are alternatives."

"Like pizza," Carmen says cheerfully.

"You know what? That sounds like the best option. Calvin and I wanted to keep it simple anyway," she said referring to her boyfriend.

I could tell she was stressed and nervous about tonight too.

Carmen opens the drawer containing our silverware and grabs a fork. I watch as she inspects the lasagna and pokes it with the fork. Then, she digs in and pulls a huge chunk of the lasagna out, stuffing it into her mouth.

"Carmen! That's burnt!"

"So. Once you get past the black, burnt parts, it tastes pretty good," she says around a mouth full of food.

"Ugh!" Mom says, disgusted. "I'll go call the order in."

---

15 minutes and the doorbell rings.

"I got it!" I call and rush towards the door, grabbing the money off the table.

I open the door and my smile immediately drops as I see Ashton.

"Hey! You're not pizza," I pout as Ashton stands outside looking as handsome as ever.

"No, I'm much better," Ashton smiles. He steps inside and kisses me on the cheek, earning a huge grin from me.

"Lies!" Carmen shouts from the kitchen.

I roll my eyes and hug my boyfriend. He sniffs the air and looks at me curiously.

"What was burning?"

"Dinner," I answer and close the door. I grab his hand and lead him into the kitchen.

"Nice dress by the way," he says while inspecting the skater dress. I blush under his gaze which causes him to smirk.

Mom said it was okay to invite Ashton and Carmen over. Only people I was closest with though.

"What is she eating?" Ashton asked as we got closer to Carmen munching on the burnt lasagna.

"That would be our dinner. Mom burnt the lasagna."

"How do you burn lasagna?" he asked and then quickly scoots away from me as I gave him a glare.