Chapter 24 - Alarm

Start from the beginning

Sunghoon's wrong about her. Of course she'd always talk about him, because he's her only family, her closest friend.

"I missed you." Lia admitted to Jay, happy that she saw her today. Jay smiled at her, not admitting that he missed her as well. He didn't want to admit his feelings towards her ever like he always did.

Maybe it won't be a crime to think about himself for once. He's done with this one sided love. He wanted to free his tired heart. He promised himself that he will still be there for Lia, but only as a brother, but nothing more special than that.

Never again will he cage himself into a person who will never love him back.

"Well, how about I cook you food as promised. It's the only reason why I'm here anyway." He said and went to the kitchen without waiting for her answer. Sungjun's no longer there.

That's good. No drunk annoying adult to distract him. He can focus on cooking.

Jay put his hair on a high ponytail. He has this under cut that keeps him look clean but at the same time allows him to put his hair on a ponytail when he didn't want it to cover his eyes. In his case now, he didn't want any distraction or accidentally put hair on Lia's meal.

He put on a yellow apron and proceeds chopping.

Jay tried to cook as much as he can so Lia won't have to starve herself. The fridge was was almost empty anyway.

Lia went beside Jay, watching as he worked silently. He's avoiding her. Usually he would talk a lot while cooking, especially if Lia's beside him.

"So, how's school? I heard someone jumped again." Lia tried to start a conversation.

"Sorry Iya, I need to concentrate. You can just wash up and go to bed." He said coldly while seasoning the food he's cooking, not even looking at Lia.

She felt pushed away and hurt. She was so excited to finally see him. She wanted to tell him everything about her school, and how she can come out without him or going to him now, but he's acting so cold.

She did as he say, feeling a tug on her chest after being pushed away.

What happened to him?

She did as told and just went to bed, not hoping to talk to Jay all night long like her original plan. She was so excited to tell him that she finally has friends, but he was just too distant today.

Jay finished making side dishes and a few easy to reheat dishes and separated them. Labeling them as Lia's so her parents won't touch it.

Lia's mother, Uee came home and ignored Jay. She's used to seeing Jay in her household so like what a real family would do, she ignored him and grabbed ice cubes, placed it on her glass and poured a brandy.

Of course, the two can't handle being at the same place without being wasted.

"How's school?" She asked after drinking the brandy in one shot to easily get herself drunk. She hates it here, and couldn't stand her husband. Asking the kids about school school makes her feel a little bit like a mother. That she has a role in this shit hole.

"Great!" Jay responds as usual. Somehow he missed this. A motherly figure asking him about school. Sungyeon's not the type. She only shows interest on Sunghoon. Jay won't blame her though. After all, he's not her real son anyway.

"Oh Jay!" She poured a good amount of brandy on her glass. "You think nobody notices how you answer these kids of questions? You're such a liar, kid." She muttered.

"What do you mean?" Jay asks her.

"How are you? Fine. How's school? Great. Are you okay? Okay. Is there something troubling you? Nothing at all. How's it been? Awesome." Uee muttered. "You must be having a really good life then kid." She laughs. "It's fine! You can tell me how much you want to kill someone, or set your school on fire. I won't tell you it's bad omen to curse people or things. I won't tell you to pray, I won't tell you to just be thankful that you didn't have an illness. This world is fucked up anyway." She said taking a sip on her drink. She frowned at the strong bitter taste of brandy, heating up her throat.