Nothing's Ever Easy ~Chapter 24

Start from the beginning

“Thank you, and happy new year to you too.” I walked to the back of the bus and took a seat. 

I pulled my phone out again and searched my contacts for Evelyn’s name. I typed out a quick message before pocketing my phone again.

On the bus now. Be home in about 2 hours.
 -T

She didn’t reply but that didn’t matter. I shrugged and let myself drift off to sleep for the continuation of the ride. Sleeping now was way better than having my thoughts haunt me.

“Travis?” I shook my head and looked to Adrian.

“Sorry, what were you saying?” I made sure to listen this time.

“You’re really out of it today. What’s wrong with you?” He had a look of confusion on his face.

“Nothing.” I waved him off. “Nothing that needs worrying. I’m fine, I promise.”

“You’re not fine.” He protested. “I saw you that morning when I came over. On new year’s day?”

My head shot up. I said nothing for a moment before I cleared my throat. “I was fine then too.”

“You’re lying to me.” His voice sounded slightly accusing. “What happened, Travis?”

“Nothing!” I raised my voice a bit. “Why to you always have to assume that something happened?”

The people in the coffee shop started looking at us. I flushed and looked down at my hands. I gulped and bit my lip nervously. I felt the tears start to pool in my eyes.

“I just- you won’t understand, Adrian. No one would.” I shook my head. I wiped my tears away and glanced down at my now wet fingers. 

“Wouldn’t understand what?” Adrian moved his chair closer to mine. “Travis, we can’t make light of this situation if you don’t speak up. Please, trust me.”

“I-I saw Brock that night. Well, actually on new year’s eve.” I heard Adrian gasp. “I mean that wasn’t really a big deal. I was bound to run into him sometime. It’s what happened after.”

“Uh-huh.” Adrian was nodding at me, a sign telling me that I should continue.

“He was sad, you know. And my day wasn’t going well either. He said that his mom died just before Christmas and I could understand his pain. I just wanted to be there for him.”

“There’s nothing wrong with that, Travis.” Adrian frowned.

“See? You don’t get it! There’s everything wrong with that!” I kept shaking my head. “Normal people would say ‘my condolences’ or ‘I’m sorry for your loss’. They wouldn’t sleep with the person.”

“So you and Brock-” Adrian trailed off. He didn’t need to say it out loud for it to be confirmed. “Travis, were you guys attempting to get back together? What happened after?”

“No, nothing like that.” I sniffed. “He asked if I still loved him. I told him the truth, I do, but I left out the part that I still loved Landon too. He said he loved me and one thing led to another, and before I knew it, we were in his bed.”

“Didn’t you think of what it could do to you? To Brock?” He asked.

“Of course I did. But I went through with it anyway.” I raised my hands in defeat. “I regret it, Adrian. I wish I didn’t, but I do.”

“And Brock? What did he say?”

I averted my gaze and took a deep breath. “I didn’t give him much of a choice. I left like a ghost int he middle of the night. I mean, he caught me trying to sneak out and asked if I was just going to leave.”