Twenty-Five

I laced up my boots while Blair lied face-up staring at my ceiling. We were currently in the middle of our spring break attempting to stay out of trouble as much as possible, but as of right now we were about to leave to bring Shawn to the airport. I was starting to believe he would rather be anywhere but here in Baldwin, Missouri.

There was a knock on my door before he poked his head in. "I'm ready."

"I feel like your personal chauffeur," I admitted.

"That's because you are," Blair teased.

I nudged her as we exited the apartment.

We all started towards the airport, Shawn in the passenger and Blair in the back. The April weather had come as a delight now that the rain had stopped, so I rode with my windows down.

Shawn tuned my radio. "So please don't wreck the house while I'm gone. I know you're on break but seriously, I don't wanna come home to a mess."

"Got it."

"And no parties."

I rolled my eyes. "Damn, I guess I'll have to cancel the keg I ordered."

"Sam," Shawn stated.

"Chill." I laughed. "I'm joking."

He relaxed in his seat. "So, what exactly are you two planning on doing for the next two days anyway?"

Blair snorted. "We all know what Sam plans on doing."

Suddenly my face was hot.

"You're not funny," I claimed, staring at her through the rearview mirror.

"Sam and Megan will probably be inseparable."

I watched Shawn through my peripheral. He hadn't said much about us since the bombshell he had dropped a few weeks ago, but I wondered if he was still okay with it. Or did it truly make him uncomfortable?

"Is that cool?" I asked him.

"Yeah," he answered. "It just makes me nervous. This is a small town and people notice things." He checked his phone. "Just be careful."

Shawn talking about it just made me anxious, but we were almost in the clear. Just a few more weeks till freedom awaited us with open arms and we could finally define what we were without any hesitation.

Of course, I was grateful I was still in school because at the moment the thought of commitment still terrified me, even with Megan.

We made it to the airport and I joined my brother outside my car. His arms wrapped around me and I smiled even though I hated to see him go. It was times like these that I realized Shawn was one of the few I couldn't bear to live without.

"I think I'd rather you hang out with Megan than be running the streets, if I'm being honest."

I laughed from relief. "I promise I'll stay out of trouble."

"Please."

"You should trust me more."

"I do," he answered. "I just know trouble likes to follow you."

"You have a point."

"Alright, I'll see you in a few days." He picked up his bag. "Love you, Sam."

"You better."

He just laughed before he disappeared into the terminal, leaving Blair and I alone.

"So did you really order a keg?" she asked.