Ten

The next day marked the beginning of my punishment. Megan had informed me after class that morning that there would be practice after school at the field, and I was required to be there. I was bummed, but that didn't mean I wasn't prepared. So after leaving Megan's class I took a nap, changed, and headed back to school.

I met up with Megan before anyone else, which was a relief. She was wearing a pair of workout shorts and a long sleeved shirt. Her hair was pulled back into a pony-tail, which I thought made her look younger. When she spotted me she smiled.

"You're already off to a great start," she claimed.

"How so?"

"Because you showed up. On time, might I add."

I laughed. "Were you expecting less?"

"Yeah, I was, actually."

I rolled my eyes. "Why?"

"You were late to my class the entire first week of school."

"Okay, you have a point."

"Of course I do," she boasted. "I need you to help me take out the tee's and balls for hitting practice."

I just nodded and followed her to the equipment shed.

Megan would hand me a batting tee and a bat, I would place them on the outside until they were all out of the shed. Then we walked to and from the batting cages with the equipment. It wasn't hard work, but it reminded me how out of shape I was. Maybe helping here would allow me to get back into it.

I set the last tee down. "This brings back memories."

"You used to play softball?"

I nodded. "Yeah, back at my old school."

"Were you any good?" she teased.

I cocked my head to the side with a smirk. "I was the only freshmen to start varsity."

"Yeah that's pretty good," she agreed.

"What about you?"

"Played through high school, decided not to play for college."

Okay, I was surprised. Megan was an ex-softball player too? I found it odd how many things we had in common.

"Position?" I asked.

"I could play every outfield position."

And she had managed to outdo me in the end.

I nodded. "That's impressive. I just focused on centerfield."

"So I'm guessing you got kicked off the team when you got kicked out of your school?"

"Yup," I answered. "But that's okay they weren't that great to begin with."

She just laughed. "Was your mascot at least somewhat intimidating?"

"Not really. But I guess colts are scarier than the Baldwin Bluejays."

That's when the softball girls rounded the corner, interrupting our moment. Megan looked at me. "Help them."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm sure they can do without me."

But when I went to leave Shay cut off my escape path, a smug expression on her face.

"Excuse me," I stated.

"So do you plan to contaminate the entire softball team now?" she asked.

"What?"

"I mean you and Emma. Do you plan to stop with her or make your rounds?"