Seventeen

The last few days of Thanksgiving break consisted of me mostly staying low-key and resting. I had notified Blair and had gotten my car fixed within that time, hoping December would turn out better than November.

Things started looking up the Sunday night before we had to go back to school. The nightmares ceased to exist, even without the help of alcohol and sleeping pills. It was a small miracle I didn't take for granted.

Another small plus was that Megan was talking to me again. I hadn't realized how much I needed our relationship until losing it, so getting it back really altered my attitude.

The only bad thing about getting into December was my grades, and how rescuing my crumbling GPA seemed impossible. All of my teacher's had issued a warning, including Megan, but didn't include any means of help. And I had no idea what to do.

That was until one day after Megan's class.

"Sam, I need to have a word with you," Megan called from her desk. I never thought I'd be grateful to hear those words coming from a teacher, but I was.

I shut the door before joining her at her desk. "Am I in trouble?"

"No, but your grades are."

I sighed. "I know. I just don't know what to do about it."

She leaned forward. "Here's a suggestion: study."

"Would it be sad if I told you I didn't know how?"

"Yes, it would."

I threw myself down in the seat next to her. "Megan I can't fail again."

"That's why I asked you to stay. I talked to coach about giving you December off to focus on your studies. She was fine with it as long as you come back to help for the regular season."

Suddenly my Friday had gotten so much better.

I smiled. "You didn't have to do that."

"Yes, I really did. You have an F in almost every class."

"Which one do I not have an F in?" I asked.

"Environmental Science. You have a D in there."

I nodded. "Sweet."

"That's not sweet, Sam."

"Well what do you suggest I do then?"

"I'm going to tutor you until finals."

I was blindsided. Had she said tutor me? As in one on one?

"Uh, when?" I asked.

"During my lunch period, because unlike you I still have to help with softball practice."

"So as in right now?"

She just nodded.

"Well when are you gonna eat lunch?" I tried to persuade her another way.

"I can multitask."

"You don't have to do this," I found myself saying. It was one thing for her to talk to coach, but to tutor me one on one for the next three weeks?

"I know, but I want to."

"Why?"

She tilted her head. "Because I'm your friend."

Then why did it feel like it was becoming more than that? I shoved the thought to the back of my mind.

"Alright then."