Eighteen

Miraculously I made it to the end of the school term without failing, but I gave most of the credit to Megan herself for helping when she didn't have to. Not only did I pass every final, but my grades had jumped from F's and D's to A's and B's within the matter of a month. Shawn himself didn't believe it until I received my final grade report of the year.

On the last day of class before break I had been eager to escape from campus. Yet, there was the saddening thought that I wouldn't be able to see Megan for a few weeks. Now that she no longer lived with us, speaking to her outside the classroom setting was impossible.

But before I was able to leave school that afternoon, Megan had called me back one final time.

"Sam, come see," she called from her desk. I could hear the smile in her voice.

I dropped my bag and waltzed up with a smirk. "You just want a few extra minutes with your favorite student before break."

"You wish."

I joined her behind her desk, looking at what she was doing on her computer. She had pulled up my final grade and I smiled at what I saw.

"You finished the term with an A in history."

"It's a miracle," I joked.

"Damn right."

I sighed in relief. "I really don't know how to repay you."

She shook her head. "That's not necessary."

"Why'd you do it?"

She glanced at me, her cheeks flushing just a bit before answering. "I didn't want you to be a six year senior."

I shoved her. "I'd make sure I ended up back in your class. I keep you on your toes."

"That's true... but there are things you have to accomplish outside of high school. And if investing a little of my time helps you get where you need to be then... I'm happy to do it."

I just stared at her. Man, was I gonna miss her over break. As much as I hated thinking about how much I liked Megan, denying it only tore me up inside. It was there, plain as day, but what was I to do? I knew deep down romances never lasted, and why screw up what Megan and I had now? Not to mention the whole fact that she was my teacher. Love was just a concept I refused to acknowledge. It had never worked for me. So I doubted if it would work now.

"What are you doing for Christmas?" she asked.

I shrugged. "Shawn and I usually have our own little thing in the morning and then he joins mom and dad later."

Her eyes fell. "Are you gonna go?"

"I don't think so."

After last time I figured mom still had a bit of growing to do, and even when I hated seeing my dad suffer I knew mom had to come around. She would. I knew she would. Or so I hoped. Maybe having expectations was a bad idea considering every time I did I was always let down.

"Well, if your Christmas ends up being a bust, I invited Shawn to my birthday celebration. I'd like it if you tagged along," she offered.

"I'll get to meet all your screwed up family?" I joked.

"Yes, including the gold-digging step-grandmother." She cringed. "God that sounds weird."

I felt a wide smile spreading across my face. "Does this mean I have to get you a present?"

"You don't have to get me anything."

But I knew I would get her something. It was the least I could do after everything she had done for me over the past month.