CHAPTER VI - The Voice of God

CHAPTER VI

THE VOICE OF GOD

Midnight, the brisk air heavy with smoke and corporate chitchat, occasionally delving into benefits changes, the 80's unknown action stars, latest video scandals, and further monotonous malarkey. The sickle moon gaped over the dispersing nimbus, slicing through a deep cut of amber bloom. Out on the road, the damp, slick pavement ran vastly hollow, while on the sidewalk dimly-lit terminals crawl with empty cabs and sleeping hobos.

It was a night like many seasonal nights before—the graveyard shift.

"So much for the fourteenth month, huh?" Russel puffed.

"Yeah... And now they got rid of the reimbursement, too." Ritcher added.

"Not to mention the SL bonus!" Jess said, frustrated. "That was supposed to cover the tax, you know?"

Ritcher blew a perfect circle. "What the fuck, right? No holiday pay. No weekend pay. Damn corporate rules. We're burning our free time for nothing."

"Sucks." Russel pulled another cig from his pocket. It was his fourth. Ritcher flicked his lighter over the chain smoker's face. "Thanks."

For a while, there was silence as the group savored the flavor. This was how the evening breaks usually began. The breath of a dragon; a congregation around a circle of fire and smoke. If one were to follow scripture, then one might say this wasn't far from where I actually came from.

"Anyway, have you seen the new scandal?" Russel broke the calm.

Jess smiled. "Yeah, I have it right here." He pulled out his phone.

"Damn, your fast!" Ritcher said, laughing. "That's master Jess for you."

The group pulled in closer to watch the nasty deed, purposely caught in the act, of course. "Is it playing? It's too dark to see anything," Russel said, squinting.

"Just wait a minute, you pervert," Jess said, teasing him. "They haven't turned on the lights yet—"

"Shhh! I can't hear it!" Ritcher interrupted.

What followed was, what I'd like to call, a healthy exercise with a bit of worshiping and a bit of cursing, with the words "Oh, my God" and "fuck" and "shit" thrown into the medley of a young woman's voice, presumably a student, whose tender tits seemed to be the focus of the group.

"Wow! She's got huge breasts!" Russel said with widening eyes. "And she's so young!"

"Probably just turned eighteen," Jess thought.

"Or maybe sixteen," Russel said. "I know sixteen when I see it."

Ritcher preached the apparent acrobat. "Look how flexible she is! She can really grind!"

"Yeah... That rock star is one lucky son-of-a-bitch," Jess said, quite bitter.

This continued on for a few minutes until Jess's girlfriend called, only to find out he got her pregnant. Too bad Jess didn't care to do a background check first. In a nutshell, the girl was Christian. Figure out the rest.

"Hey, Vince!" Ritcher called. "Deep in your thoughts again, eh? Have you watched this already?"

Cigarette smoke crawled out of my mouth. It felt good. "No need."

Ritcher was unconvinced. "Hmm... I bet you're going to watch it later though."

I kept my stare on the moon. "I don't watch porn," I replied firmly, then smiled. "I do it."