16. Math

"Wasn't it just so romantic?" Riley asks dazedly as we walk into the loft. Well I walk, Riley practically floats. Lucas had asked her to prom during lunch today and she had been on cloud nine ever since. I giggle as I watch her dance around the living room shocked to find Josh running down the stairs wearing nothing but a pair of sweat pants. A blush creeps onto my cheeks as my eyes run down his perfectly sculpted torso and I have to swallow a lump in my throat as I flick my eyes back up to his.

"Hi" I say cautiously. It had been a couple weeks since the funeral and we hadn't talked since. I didn't know if he regretted kissing me or if he just felt guilty. Wrongly, I was hoping for the latter.

"I didn't know you were coming over" he says as I nod, combing my fingers through my hair.

"Um yea. Riles and I have a bit more work on our science project" I reply calmly. "So we should go" I add as I grab Riley's hand and pull her up to her room. We close the door behind us and Riley looks at me confused.

"What was that?" she asks confused as she takes a seat at the bay window, looking at me expectantly as she awaits my answer. I sigh as I walk over, taking a seat beside her.

"Promise not to freak out" I say slowly as she nods taking her lower lip into her mouth as if to force herself to stay quiet. "Josh kinda took me to my dad's funeral a couple weeks ago" I explain carefully making her eyes go wide, "and then we went for ice cream and we kissed. Again" I add as her mouth drops open.

"I'm not gonna freak out" she assures me as she stands up and starts pacing. I watch as a million emotions cloud her face but eventually she sighs and sits beside me once again.

"You do know he's having a baby right?" she asks calmly making me groan as I let my face fall into my hands.

"Why'd he have to knock her up?" I exclaim as I jump off the bench of the window. "Dammit. It's not fair" I add angrily. "He was probably drunk off his ass when he did it too."

"Why do you say that?" Riley asks confused as her eyebrows furrow together.

"Haven't you done the math?" I ask as she shakes her head looking even more confused. "She's due on October 7th, fourty weeks from New Year's" I explain as she shakes her head again.

"No Maya, that's not possible" she says as she tucks her feet under herself.

"What do you mean?" I ask confused as I look at her.

"I mean" she laughs lightly, "Josh was here on New Year's" she adds making my eyes widen in shock.

"Wait what?" I ask as Topanga suddenly appears in the doorway.

"Maya are you staying for dinner?" she asks sweetly.

"Um no I actually need to go" I reply quickly as I grab my things and rush out of the loft.