3. Party

The rest of the week passes quickly. Zay, Riley, Lucas and I talk constantly about the party and as each day passes I get more and more excited, only I was becoming less and less sure of why I was so excited. Did I really want revenge as much as I wanted to see Josh again?

Now it's Sunday and I'm standing in front of my mirror getting ready for the party. I have no idea what to wear, I've already gone through four outfits. I look down at my phone and see that I have a notification from Facebook. I'm not surprised when I realize its Josh's birthday reminder complete with the site urging me to write on his wall. I roll my eyes as I scroll through the ridiculous amount of posts all wishing him an amazing birthday talking about how they can't wait to go out drinking with him.

As I scroll through the posts I notice something odd. His supposed girlfriend had posted on his wall but unlike every other post on the page this one is unliked and has no comments.

I don't know what comes over me in that moment but I decide it's time for an experiment. I post a quick "happy birthday" on his wall and not two seconds later it's liked and I have a text. The first since Monday. He finally gave up a few days ago probably tired of my silence.

JOSH: Thanks

MAYA: Don't mention it. Have a good birthday

I send the text just as my phone vibrates informing me that Zay is here. I grab my purse and walk towards the front door. I knew I was supposed to be angry with Josh and I knew I was only supposed to be excited for this party to get revenge but the fact of the matter was, I was beyond excited to see him. I missed him. What the hell was wrong with me?

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Zay and I ride to the party exchanging small talk as we drive towards the Matthews' house but after a few minutes a silence falls over us and my gaze lands outside my window.

"So are you ever gonna tell me what exactly Mr. Someday did? I mean I know he promised to come to your party and then he showed up with Callie but there has to be more to the story" Zay says seriously.

"Zay I really don't want to talk about it" I reply as I continue to look out my window at the snow that was melting under the blazing sunlight.

"Maya come on" Zay says grabbing my hand reassuringly and I can't help but notice how well it fits in mine. "If I'm gonna help you get revenge on him don't you think I should at least know the whole story" he continues. I look over at him and take a deep breath before talking.

"He didn't just promise to come to my party. He promised me someday, he said he had a surprise for me and that I would love it" I say emphasizing the love part showcasing my annoyance as Zay tightens his grip on my hand comfortingly.

"I'm sorry Maya. If it makes you feel better I think he's an even bigger idiot than I did before" Zay says matter of factly as we stop at a red light. "I mean he had the opportunity to have you and he threw it away, that's the dumbest move ever" he continues and I feel myself blush as goosebumps appear on my arms. What was happening? Was Zay flirting with me? Did I like it?

Before I'm able to sort out my feelings we reach Riley's house. Zay comes over to help me out of the car and takes my hand in his as we walk up to the front door. I buzz the speaker box and Riley's voice fills the air.

"Come on up" she says buzzing us up. Zay opens the door holding it for me as we walk up to the apartment. Once we're there Riley opens the door and lets us in. "Hey friends" she says brightly. "Take off your coats and get comfortable" she says and suddenly I feel Zay's hands on my shoulders helping me with my jacket as Josh walks in the room from upstairs. My jacket slides off and me and Josh's eyes meet.