4. Thunderstorms

I hate thunderstorms. They're too loud and bright and for some reason they only happen when I'm trying to sleep.

I'm lying in Riley's bed later that night trying to fall asleep but it's no use, the thunder is too loud and my head won't stop spinning. After my kiss with Zay, Josh disappeared back upstairs and I hadn't seen him since. Callie had even slipped out without a prolonged, overdramatic goodbye.

I sigh deeply turning to face Riley as I watch her sleep soundly. She's always been a heavy sleeper and tonight was no different, she was sleeping through the whole storm. I grab my cell phone and think about texting Zay but it's one in the morning, there's no way he's still awake. I could get up but there are so many people I could run into. I debate my options of staying in bed or getting up for a few seconds before I finally decide to slip out of bed.

I tiptoe towards the door and open it slowly, shutting it behind me quickly waiting to hear the click before walking towards the kitchen to retrieve a glass of water but as I get closer I realize the kitchen is already occupied.

"Are you really sure this is what you want?" I hear Cory ask filling my head with confusion. Who was he talking to?

"No I'm not but it's the only responsible thing to do Cor" the other voice responds and suddenly I'm glued to my spot on the floor. The other voice belonged to Josh.

"Josh you're an adult. You can make your own decisions, I just don't want you regretting this."

"Cory as of a few weeks ago I don't have free will anymore. I have to be there for Callie in every way possible." As he talks my head won't stop spinning. What is he talking about? What happened a few weeks ago?

"But marriage?" I hear Cory ask. The word makes my breath hitch in my throat and suddenly I hear Josh and Cory shout out, "who's there?"

I make my way around the corner and the second Josh's eyes land on me his face falls.

"Shit. Maya" Josh says pleadingly but I'm already running out of the room. I run into the bathroom and lock the door. I brace myself against the sink taking deep breaths trying to calm myself down. Marriage? Josh wanted to marry Callie. He was promising me someday while he was planning on marrying someone else. It just didn't add up. Suddenly I hear a knock on the door.

"Go away Josh" I sigh annoyed knowing it's him.

"No Maya. Come on, open the door" he pleads making me moan in annoyance as I throw open the door locking eyes with Josh.

"What?" I ask annoyed.

"How long were you standing there?" he asks worriedly.

"Long enough" I reply, crossing my arms across my chest.

"Why are you even awake Maya? I thought everyone was asleep."

"The storm" I say motioning towards the window revealing the raging storm outside.

"You're afraid of thunderstorms?"

"Don't change the subject. You're marrying Callie. Congrats" I spit at him as I try to brush past him but he catches my wrist and pulls me into his bedroom. "Josh, I just want to go back to Riley's room" I complain as I look up at him.

"Can you please just give me a second to explain?"

"Explain what Josh? You fell in love with someone else, we weren't together, and it's not a big deal" I lie avoiding his gaze.

"See that right there. That's why we have to talk" he insists as he starts pacing the floor. "Maya there are things you don't know."

"Then tell me" I exclaim growing angry as I look up at him finally. "If there is some big, huge secret that you're keeping that will somehow make this all make sense then tell me" I shout as tears stream down my face rapidly. Josh walks over wiping away my tears.