5. Aftermath

I wake up the next morning noticing that Riley is still fast asleep next to me. I debate whether or not I should wait for her to wake up but as my stomach growls I realize there really is no question.

I climb out of bed and make my way down to the kitchen. As I round the corner I realize that Josh is the only one up. He's sitting at the table with his head in his hands looking deep in thought.

"Morning" I whisper as I take a seat next to him.

"Hey gorgeous" he smiles looking up at me.

"You okay?" I ask worriedly as I look back at him.

"Just thinking. Did you end up falling asleep last night?" he asks and I nod my head earning a nod from Josh. "I'm really sorry about last night Maya. I should've just kept my mouth shut.

"No I'm glad you told me" I insist putting my hand over Josh's without thinking. I lock eyes with him as my breath hitches. I pull away quickly and stand up going to fetch a bowl of cereal.

"I should probably go take a shower. I'm meeting Callie in a few hours" he informs me as he stands up.

"Are you proposing today?" I ask fearing the answer. I knew after I turned him down last night that it would be happening soon but I didn't think I could handle it if it happened today.

"No, I'm planning on doing it on her birthday. It's next month" he says as he stares down at the ground.

"Well good luck" I say as I pour Trix into a bowl before adding milk not realizing that Josh hadn't moved until I turn around with my bowl full of cereal. "What?" I ask curiously.

"Are you and Zay like a thing now?" he asks taking me by surprise, and I realize I really have no idea.

"I don't know" I confess as I sit down. "I like him but is it really fair to date Zay when I'm in love with you?" I ask looking at him sadly.

"We both have to let each other go eventually Maya. Give him a chance, he's a nice guy" Josh says surprising me again.

"You really think so?" I ask confused by my mixed up emotions.

"Yea I do. Ask him out. Guys like that" he laughs making me smile.

"Guys like what?" Riley asks as she rubs her eyes making her way down the stairs.

"Girls making the first move" I inform my best friend.

"I'm gonna go get ready for my date. Have a good day girls" Josh adds as he walks up the stairs towards his bedroom.

"What was that about? I thought you were pissed at him" Riley says confused as she pulls out a bowl and her box of Cheerios.

"Long story" I sigh as I take a bite of my cereal, knowing that even though I love her dearly I was never telling her what happened between Josh and I last night. It would be our little secret, the one and only thing Josh and I will ever share.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

"So what happened with you and Zay last night?" Riley asks suggestively as we walk down the hallway later that day. Unfortunately all of yesterday's festivities took place on a Sunday meaning I still had to make an appearance at Abigail Adams today.

"We may or may not have made out before he left" I say trying to fight my smile but I was finding it impossible.

"Oh my god! So is that what Josh was teasing you about this morning? Are you gonna ask him out?" she asks excitedly making me laugh.

"I don't know. Maybe" I shrug unsure as Lucas sneaks up behind Riley scaring her.

"Lucas" she laughs as she turns around to face him.

"Hey princess" he says sweetly making me smile widely. They were so in love it was sometimes nauseating, but at the end of the day they were happy so I was too. Lucas pulls Riley in for a kiss and I avert my eyes as I feel someone wrap their arm around my shoulders.

"They really are something aren't they Honey Nugget?" Zay asks making me grin as I turn around to face him.

"Good morning" I say happily as I look up at him.

"Morning" he replies before pulling me in for a hug probably thinking it was best not to go right in for a kiss. I'm thankful for that too because I don't think my brain could take any more, I was drowning in my emotions. "How was your sleepover?" he asks sweetly bringing me back to last night, to me and Josh confessing our love to each other, and the awful baby bomb he dropped. My heart sinks.

"It was good" I lie trying to push down my feelings.

"No drama with Mr. Someday?" he teases smirking at me. I knew he was just messing with me but it still stings a bit.

"Nope" I lie again smiling fakely.

"That's good, I kinda thought he was gonna be upset that I kissed you" Zay admits as we start walking down the hall towards History class with Riley and Lucas walking hand in hand in front of us.

"Why would he be upset? It's not like I'm his girlfriend, in fact I was kinda hoping to get the chance to be yours" I say smoothly turning to face him.

"My girlfriend? Maya yesterday you wanted revenge on Josh for crushing your heart and now you want to date me" he says confused.

"Okay maybe not right away but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy our kiss last night" I say truthfully because I really did enjoy our kiss. Of course not as much as I enjoyed my make-out with Josh but I still enjoyed it. "I want to get to know you better Zay. Let's go on a date" I suggest smiling as I take his hand in mine.

"When?" he asks coming around to the idea.

"I don't know" I laugh. "How about we get a burger after you're done with basketball practice."

Zay stares blankly at me for a few seconds and I think he's about to say no when he takes me by surprise for the third time this morning.

"Okay fine. One date and we'll take it from there" he says happily as he squeezes my hand walking into class.