VII : Evacuating London

Start from the beginning

Helen Pevensie was running out of options. Nights such as this had been occurring much more frequently, about three times a week now. She couldn't keep doing this to her children. They were in too much danger if they stayed here. She remembered hearing about the housing for children living in 'The Blitz' where they would be transferred to a home until the bombing came to an end. Helen feared that was what it had come to for her kids. It was the only way she would know for sure that her kids would be safe.

Lucy and Edmund had fallen asleep but Peter and Susan were still up. "Susan, Peter," she whispered in the quiet room.

When they heard their names, the two oldest Pevensie children looked up to their mother who motioned for them to sit with her. Obediently they got up and say down next to their mother. "Yes, mum?" Susan asked listening intently.

Helen sighed; there would be no easy way to tell her kids she was going to be sending them away. "Within the next week or so the four of you will be sent to a safe house until all of this blows over."

"What?" Peter exclaimed, his eyes growing bigger by the minute in the dark bunker. "But mum--"

"No," Helen stated, cutting him off. "I've made up my mind. It will be much safer and it would be located where no bombings are taking place, and better yet I will know that all of you are safe and protected."

Susan nodded in understanding at her mother's reasoning. "So we should probably begin packing as soon as we leave the bunker and hope to leave within the week?"

Helen nodded at her daughter confirming her question. Peter just rolled his eyes at his sister. Always count on Susan to be the brainy know-it-all all the time. She always thinks she's so much smarter that the others and more sophisticated. It always was able to get under Peters skin. He didn't want to leave his mom here all alone. She needed her children just as much as they needed her. "Mum, are you sure about this?" He asked her with worry.

Helen couldn't even form the words and just nodded at her son. "It's the only way. Now try to get some rest." Then the conversation was then dropped and the Pevensie bunker returned to silence as everyone tried to fall asleep. 

The next week at the Pevensie household to say was a little chaotic would be an understatement. Lucy and Edmund didn't take kindly to the idea of leaving their mother and staying somewhere else. Unfortunately for them, the choice has already been made for them. Susan and Peter helped their siblings pack all the things they would need while they were away, but there was no indication of how long they would be gone. Helen spent the week trying to find a place for her children to stay. Stories told from other parents were told that some children would be separated to different homes because one family couldn't house all the children. This worried Helen, how on earth would she be able to find a house for all four of her children? Throughout her endless searching, she finally came across a house. 

The house was known as the Old Professors House and it almost looked like a mansion. Helen was surprised no one had booked the house all ready for a house as nice as it was. It was ten miles from the closest train station and two miles from the nearest post office. The professor was said to have lived in the house all his life. Upon further research of the house, she found it was more than enough to well supply her four children. But why had no other family already booked a house so nice as this? During her research, she came across some rather unusual knees. The parents of the professor that previously owned the mansion had passed away leaving the house to their own lily child. None of that was out of the ordinary but it was said that the family had once had a major reputation and lost that when three of their children went missing. They went missing in 1901 and were never seen or heard from again. The professor, only 14 at the time, came from the upstairs room making what seemed to be absurd allegations about what happened to his siblings to his parents and the authorities. The professor's parents filed missing reports on the three children but they were never found again. Believing their son to have gone crazy at the loss of his siblings, they sent him to a mental institution and he came back from it well-mannered and dropping his previous accusations. He then studied at Oxford and became a professor. Afraid she was running out of the options she went to the office and booked the house before anyone else did. She probably wouldn't find any other house nearly as nice or that would house all of her kids together as well. Besides the professor might have acted as he did out of the loss of all of his siblings. It didn't seem too crazy, I mean he went from having a brother and two sisters to being an only child in one day. That could cause anyone to start saying odd things.