VII : Evacuating London

Start from the beginning

Together the family ran from the house to bunker in their backyard. "Come on, quickly!" Their mother yelled at them, encouraging them to run faster.

"Run!" Peter yelled as a bomb hit another house a few houses down. The girl's screams were barely audible compared to the airplanes and bombings.

"Hurry!" Susan yelled pushing her sister to run faster in front of her.

"Mum!" Lucy cried out to her mother. But her mother was too busy trying to remove the door of the bunker so that they could all get inside.

Susan was the first to run inside the bunker as soon as they could get the door open as their mother was then helping Lucy into the bunker. Edmund froze before he turned around and ran back towards the house. "Wait, dad!" He screamed before taking off in a sprint.

"Ed!" Peter yelled as he tried to grab his brother's shirt but Edmund was able to shove him off and continue towards the house.

"Edmund no!" Their mom screamed at him as he ran into the house. What was he thinking?

"I'll get him," Peter yelled before taking off after his brother. Lucy, absolutely terrified, ran into the bunker.

Their mother horrified screamed after Peter. "Peter, come back!" She cried. What was she going to do? She couldn't go after them and leave the girls in the bunker. But if the boys didn't hurry back, she could possibly lose both of them in the same night.

"Ed! Come here!" Peter yelled into the house as he ran after Edmund. The sound of a bomb coming down was almost deafening, Peter knew they had to hurry because it was going to land somewhere near them. Upon following his brother into the living room, Edmund was grabbing a picture of the table when Peter saw the flash of a light outside. The bomb had hit. "Edmund get down!" He yelled as he jumped on top of Edmund, grabbing him in a bear hug and pulling him to the ground along with him.

The bomb went off right next door blowing the windows where Edmund had been watching the night raid earlier. Peter and Edmund were crouched right underneath the window, the glass shattering all over the floor. "Come on you idiot, run!" Peter screamed at his brother jumping up from the ground and pulling Edmund's arm along with him.

Edmund, unwilling to go just yet, reached for the picture he had grabbed earlier with the frame that was now shattered and picking it up pulled it close to his chest. "Get out!" Peter yelled once more before Edmund got ahold of the picture and jumped up with his brother to flee from the house.

The planes still flying over the house had the boy's hearts pumping and their breathing becoming heavier. Their mother opened the bunker door and watched the boys sprinting across the yard. "Come on!" She screamed at them as she prayed to anyone that they would make it to the bunker in time before another bomb hit. "Hurry," She yelled one more time before the boys made it to the bunker rushing down the steps inside.

Lucy and Susan were cowered on one of the bunk beds with Lucy in Susan's arms. Once the boys were inside, Edmund fell down onto a mattress in the rush of running in while Peter slammed the door shut before he turned around to face Edmund. "Why can't you think of anyone but yourself? You're so selfish! You could have got us killed!" he yelled at his brother.

But their mother turned on Peter in an instant. "Stop it!" She commanded him before turning to check on Edmund. Edmund was looking at the picture he had grabbed of their father in his army uniform breathing heavily. His mom pulled Edmund to her cradling his head to her.

Peter, still not able to understand, shook his head at his brother in a disapproving manner. "Why can't you just do as your told?"

Edmund looked up at his brother with a scowl on his face still breathing heavy as he looked up at him.