4: Aurora Meet Dru....Your Babysitter

Start from the beginning

I completely understood why they didn’t want this all in the newspaper, think about what the children would have seen. It wasn’t slightly at all and his wife couldn’t bare to have others know how he really died. Dru was the only reason I knew, that day I had bugged the hell out of him until he told me every detail of what he had seen. It was uncommon but they had allowed the Junior as well as the Senior Instructors to see the body, mostly for safety reasons and a horrid lesson in Traitors.

This so called Brother hood and Sister hood we had was a big fat phoney. A common ability and heredity in magic didn’t necessarily make you blood, it just made you similar and in a world full of power hungry people wizards and humans alike there was no family hood. We liked to think that we were better organized than others, the elves for example, we didn’t know what thehell they were doing. Half the fairies were goosing humans and leaving hybrids…

Hmm, I had reason to think that my gay bestfriend was a hybrid. I’d seen him do splits before like a fluid Veela and seduce straight guys gay. Maybe that was just an unnatural talent of his but….meh.

Anyways we were nearly as familial as we would have other races of creatures to believe. We were…..complicated? I guess we could be like PMSy Bitches when we didn’t get our way, not that it included me. I only dealt with magic because it had been passed down to me, I could have easily given it back if I’d been given the choice, but alas it wasn’t something that you could take and it wasn’t something that you could give away. It was just….yours.

To make a long story short for the past few months my Dad had been receiving cursed letters. The first one his Secretary had opened for him on command and that resulted in her slipping into a coma for a week. Nothing could wake her up, it wasn’t until a healer watched over her and noted her reactions to different medications that she woke up slowly at a time. But then he started receiving letters bi-weekly, all of them coming from somewhere he hadn’t expected. He would find them on his desk, next to his coffee pot, under his chair and nestled in his spell locked vault. No one knew the spell to his vault except for him, but he had reason to believe that one of his friends at work had something to do with it.

Still…what did that have to do with me? What could I do?

“It’s a man.” He said bluntly and placed his cap back on his head.

So……

“And…how do you know this?”

“If it were a woman, then I would smell her, her natural scent would activate the guard and she would never be able to get in. In my area, women aren’t allowed.”

Talk about sexist why dontcha, I knew my Dad was a Pig. I bet he makes his wife clean between his toes and take the lint out of his belly button.

“Ok, and how am I supposed to do all of this without getting hurt too?”

At this he smiled and crossed his arms, “Another worker, an elf actually was unlucky to open one of the letters. It was a male, the same letter that had sent my secretary into a comma, ripped his organs from the inside out.”

My heart stopped and my body turned cold, I pressed my head against my chest to control the wheezing that I knew would begin soon. Dru rubbed my shoulders gently, his warm breath washed over my ear as he whispered, “Breathe.”

“So you see, he’s partial to women. Men, he doesn’t like so much.”

I gulped in and tried to control my breathing as best as I could, “You want me to die? Why would y—“

Here his smile slipped from his face and in its place resided solemnity, “You won’t. I have reason to believe that this man, has an affinity for you.”