14

(sorry the last chapter was short. I'm gonna have to start writing this in a weird-ish way. Different than previous chapters. Enjoy)

...

The sun was slowing down, making my eyesight gloomy. People began to huddle into their apartments and get ready for the night. But not my search party.

We had put on our coats, bought some flashlights from a nearby convenient store, and chugged some coffee as fast as my throat would carry it.

I was crying the entire time we looked, sometimes it turned to sobs when others it slowed into whimpers that were wanting pity. Yelling and yelling and yelling, our voices were becoming croaky.

"Maya," My Mom began, softly. She was holding Shawn's hand. My eyes met hers and I knew what was coming.

"Maybe we should go home." It was right about now I felt the urgency to slap my mother. How could she? We've only been looking for five hours. That's not enough.

"Then go home," I spat, nerving my eyes at her. She was taken aback by this. She had to understand my pain.

"Maya, what in the world?" She yelled. "We have all been walking our asses off for your 'boyfriend' who made the wrong choice. It wasn't our fault he left because of you, Maya. So I'm going home."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. She turned around as Cory and Shawn did some sign language nobody understood. Topanga eyed my mom, begging for an explanation. But there wasn't one.

My mom was just being a pissy ass bitch. So I did the best thing I could do. I grabbed her wrist. You don't walk away from Maya Hart. Even if you're her mother.

"Excuse me?" I roared, staring into her mean eyes. "Lucas left because he loved me so much. I had so much trouble remembering him, he left so I could forget about him completely. Well, guess what Friar, your plan backfired."

"So you can grab your gang and get the hell out of my sight. You don't wanna look for the love of my life? You don't wanna help? Fine. I'll look alone. Without you guys. I don't know what's wrong with you tonight, but something is. The Mom I know wouldn't bail on something like this." I finished, fuming.

My mom and Shawn eventually went back to our apartment without a second glance. Topanga and Cory looked for another three hours before taking August home.

Zay and Smackle left at the 12 hour mark when it turned 7 in the morning. I was exhausted. The only two who stayed were Farkle and Riley.

And when it turned 12, us three all stopped for lunch. We went to a Mexican restaurant that wasn't very busy. We sat down at our table, and sighed. Dipping our tortilla chips in salsa and guacamole, the time didn't seem to fly by.

"Guys, do you think we'll ever find him?" I asked, chomping on my food. Riley looked up at me with weary eyes.

"Peaches, I'm honestly not so sure. New York is a big place. He could be anywhere. He could even be in Texas. Back at his old home."

I tried to swallow the words down and not mind them too much. But Riley was just being honest with me. She was probably right.

"Does it make me a bad person if I stop looking?"

"That's up to you to answer, Maya. We can't answer that for you. But look how far you've come. We're the only three left. Everyone else quit quite awhile ago." Farkle said.

I felt myself smile a sad smile. I ran a hand through my hair and sighed. Maybe this was it. Maybe I should just wait for him to come back home. To me.

"You guys are right, your always right." I picked up my cell, dialed the number I knew best and listened to the ringtone with anxiety.

"Lucas?" I breathed into the phone when I heard something pick up. "Huckleberry?" I cried. "My love... are you there?"

I felt every bone in my body shiver and my muscles limp. My hair seemed to stick up in my neck as I waited for somebody to respond to my begging.

"Maya?" someone said.

"I'm coming home."