6

/// Maya POV

I was swarmed with papers of the upcoming dance.

Everyone was asking me if Lucas was taking me to the dance.

"He hasn't asked me out, yet." I'd say. They'd gasp and walk away.

But something made me smile. I walked over to Riley.

"What's up, pretty peach?" Riley smiled.

"Hey, honey. What's going on over here?" I asked.

"Oh, Farkle was telling me that Zay was going to ask out Smackle."

Riley and I both looked at each other. "Ooooh, somebodies got a girlfriend!"

We teased, singing and laughing at Zay.

"Quite, Smackle should be here any minute, it needs to be perfect." he said, shoving us away.

I giggled. "Love is great, love is amazing." Riley said, hugging Farkle.

"Yeah," I nodded. "But I'm in a bit of a situation, so I couldn't disagree more." I mumbled.

Then, Smackle walked out of Health class with the biggest grin on her face when she spotted Zay.

He handed her a bouquet of roses, and got down on his knee's.

"Smackle, will you go the dance with me?"

Smackle nodded with a big smile on her face.

Zay hugged her, and returned her the smile.

"Their so in love, all it needed was time," Farkle said.

Then Lucas walks up to the crowd. Ugh. When is he going to ask me?

"What's going on?" He asks me.

"Zay asked Smackle to the dance, just like Farkle asked Riley," I said, hoping he'd get the hint.

"Oh, nice job, man." He smiled at Zay, fist bumping.

Bromance.

"Anyways, Maya. You want to go to the movies tonight?"

I looked at him.

"What?" I asked blankly.

"Hey, don't act all surprised. We are dating right?" Uh, no we technically weren't.

"No, I thought you guys were faking for the good of Maya." Farkle said.

"Yeah, that was never real, right?" Zay asked, holding Smackle's hand.

"Shush it, you two." Riley said, glaring at them.

"Well, I mean it could be real. But it has to go both ways. There are rumors going around you stayed the night at his house," Zay continued.

I felt my face heat.

"Whatever, hunkalicous. And yeah, I'll go to the movies with you. But why don't you want to go to the dance?" I turned to Lucas.

"Oh, I thought you didn't want to go. Sure, be my date?" He asked me.

I smiled. I didn't need a big gesture. This was good enough for me.

I nodded, and we all walked into History with big goofy grins on our faces.

That was the face of love.

/// Lucas POV

I put on my suit, and grabbed Maya's corsage.

"She's gonna look beautiful," My mom said, stepping into my room.

"I know that Mom." I said, laughing.

"You treat her well, son. I know some things you don't know." She said.

"Why do you guys keep saying secretive things that I don't know about?" I ask.

"Fine. You really want to know what she said?" My mom asked.

"She said she loves you in a way she never thought she would."

And with that, my mom kissed my forehead, and walked out the door.

I started walking down to Maya's place, when somebody whispered my name.

"Psst! Lucas!" A voice said.

I looked all around. "Yes?" I asked.

"Come with me." They said.

I couldn't help but laugh.

"So many reasons why I'm not going to." I replied, and continued to walk down the street.

"Do what I say, or your precious girlfriend get's it." Wait a minute, I know this voice.

I turn around to face the worst human on the planet.

"Missy, what do you want?" I said, anger building up inside of me.

"You are going to come with me to a Senior party upstate, and you are going to pretend to be my boyfriend. If you don't, I will hurt Maya so badly she could be paralyzed." She threatened.

"You stay away from her, Bradford." I yelled.

"Then come with me, buddy." She retorted, dragging me into a Taxi.

///

The first thing I noticed when I came to the senior party, drugs and alcohol.

I sighed. This was not how I was planning tonight, and everybody is going to hate me back at school for ditching Maya, when I wasn't.

Missy handed me a small glass of beer. I shook my head. "I'd drink it if I was you, otherwise you'll end up in trouble," she glared at me.

"I'm pretty sure it's the other way around, isn't it?" I comment, throwing the drink in the bushes.

/// Maya POV

"Where is he, Riles?" I panic, waiting at Mr. Matthews place.

"I don't know, peaches. Just wait, after all, he's only... 20 minutes past the time he should've been here." Riley responds, looking sad for me.

"I'm sure I can talk some sense into him," Zay says, calling him

"No answer, huh?" Farkle asks.

"Maybe he forgot?" Smackle suggests.

"No, he's just a big idiot, probably somewhere with another girl. I'm telling you guys, I would devote my life to him, when he doesn't even know. This kills me on the inside, an none of you can relate." I whine.

"I never should have lied in the first place, all it does is make my life worse." I grumble.

I was wrapped in a warm hug my all my friends. We ended up going as friends, for my benefits.

"I don't know where Lucas is, but he's missing out, Maya." Smackle told me, smiling.

It felt good to get Lucas off my shoulders for one night, but that didn't make me any happier when he ditched me.

And things only got worse, when I found out,

he ditched me for Missy Bradford.