5 | Friendships & Brownies

▂▂▂▂

[ 5 ]
: Friendships & Brownies

  ▂▂▂▂

"You better text me if he tries to do anything to you. I don't care if I'm class or- you know what, just call me, alright?" Luke pleaded with his eyes, cornering me at my locker as I sought through my things for my first lessons. 

"Yes, I know, I know. Look, I'll be fine." I reassured him. His shoulders relaxed a little as he leaned back against the locker next to mine. 

Luke was pretty distraught after what happened. He thought he could trust Aaron with everything but now, it seemed like he didn't know what to do. But one thing's for sure, I knew anger was boiling within him and I knew if he saw Aaron, he wouldn't hold back. 

At the end of the corridor, I heard boisterous laughter. I peeked around my locker to see it was Aaron and a bunch of other guys. He was laughing, throwing his head back and I felt sick to my stomach. I wanted to throw up. My skin was crawling with disgust, my body grew stiff as he got nearer to us. Everything was in slow-motion almost as he flicked his hair, smiling with his teeth glinting. I hated this feeling. I felt disgusted like I couldn't wash off his suffocating scent and his fingerprints indented in my skin. 

I shrunk behind my locker, trying to distract myself with my textbooks. 

"Lacey." His voice sent me in a paralysis. I couldn't move, my mind went blank and my skin sweltered underneath my school uniform. "Shame we didn't get to finish." 

I heard his friends chuckle along, slapping his shoulder as if to congratulate him. This was humiliating. I could feel eyes penetrating the back of my skull. I couldn't answer him because I felt trapped all of a sudden, like how I felt at that party. 

"Stay away from my sister." Luke stood up to him, covering me with his back. 

Aaron scoffed, laughing lightly, "Dude, chill. You know how it is." 

My brother stepped closer and pressed his finger against Aaron's chest, "I don't. But you better fucking stay away from my sister. She's not something you can just use."

"That's rich," I heard Aaron whisper lowly, "Coming from Luke Baris." 

And then, I heard a crack. I looked at them in horror; Luke had punched Aaron square in the face and he was laying on the floor, covering his bloodied nose with his hand. The guys stared back at him, eyes wide. It was the last thing they ever imagined: Luke Baris and Aaron Ramirez having bad blood. 

"Gentlemen, I sure hope this is something worthy of my time." Principal McCulley approached us with her glasses perched on her crooked nose. "Office. Now." 

Aaron had gotten up, still holding his nose and glared at Luke. Luke only stared back and shoved his shoulder against his chest to follow Principal McCulley to her office. Aaron's eyes shot back at me, full of the fire I seen at Ryan's lodge. I felt myself shrink under his glare as he turned his back and followed Luke and Principal McCulley. 

I shut my eyes to gather myself and felt myself slowly coming together. 

"Oh my God, Lacey." I felt Sophia pulling me into a hug as I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to erase the events that kept replaying in my head from just one look from Aaron directed at me. 

  ▂▂▂▂  

"Honestly, who the fuck gives out a test first thing on a Monday morning? You gotta be a devil's incarnate to do that." Sophia bitterly complained, stabbing her bowl of salad as my eyes bore down at the plate of floppy fries on my tray. "Lace?"