XXXV

Hak's Interlude - Watching Her (3)

Hak was lying lazily on his side, facing the gardens, as he grumbled to his 'grandpa' about quickly getting back to the clan mansion. Son Mundok  asked what was irritating him and then corrected him at once to how Hak would address him. 

He denied it although Mundok knew he was lying and pointed it out.

"You are irritated." His 'grandpa' said as he left the room.

He huffed softly in irritation but his peace was quickly disturbed in over a few seconds when someone suddenly landed in front of him. A small shadow quickly covered his body and he looked up in surprise to find the princess staring down at him.

"Princess Yona! What are you doing here?" He asked, slightly startled at her sudden appearance, as he got up into a sitting position.

She simply grinned as she knelt down. It was then he noticed that there was something in her arms. He looked a bit carefully to find out that it was a small assortment of fruits.

"What's that for?" He wondered out loud, pointing at the items in her arms.

She hummed and looked at him slyly. "Do you want it?"

Geez, what's that look for?

"No, not really." He answered nonchalantly.

She quickly pouted at his answer before she eventually started lining up the fruits in front of him. "Here, I want you to have these." She said.

He picked one up and looked at it. It looked rather juicy and he suddenly felt tempted to take a bite but not before realizing that she was planning something.

"What do you want in exchange? Is this a bribe or something?"

She nodded resolutely. "Yup, this is a bribe for you in exchange for your help. I had thought it over after my prank for that man failed rather spectacularly. I can't do this alone so I need your help."

He sighed. "Alright, I'm willing to hear you out."

"Thanks, Hak!"

Her bright smile made his stomach suddenly feel unwell.

Tch.

"So what's your plan?"

She was about to speak when she cut herself off and squeaked in surprise. Her cheeks began to redden as she twiddled with her fingers nervously. "It-It's, um, l-like t-this...!" She said with a stutter, suddenly losing her eloquence.

~

"I don't want to. I refuse to go to the imperial villa with you, Kang Tae-Jun." Princess Yona's voice resounded loudly.

"Now, now, don't be so cold, princess." The son of the Fire Tribe's Chief said as he suddenly tried to grab her hand. "Won't you show me the way?" 

She slapped his hand away before it could grab hers as she glared at him. "I. refuse."

Lord Kang Tae-Jun made another grab for her hand again to which she dodged it.

They're so annoying, he thought in his hiding place. Nobles truly are bothersome creatures. I wouldn't have to get involved if Soo-Won was here or if I hadn't accepted that bribe from the princess...but...

He suddenly remembered her pleading and red-cheeked face.

He knew he couldn't refuse her bribe (request).

Hak stood up from his place and then approached them. He grabbed General Kang's son from behind and pulled him back before he could make another move on the princess.

"That's enough, Lord Kang Tae-Jun."