XXIII

Truthful Reason

He stared at me for a few moments before deciding to answer. "I...have lived for this day." He began. I listened carefully as he explained to me why he killed my father. 

I was silent the whole time as I absorbed the new information. "To think that father would kill his own brother..." I muttered. Frankly, the whole situation right now seemed so unreal to me. Here I was, calmly listening to my father's murderer as I stood in front of his corpse.

Calm... I was too damn calm. 

And then I paused for a moment. 

Wait. I wonder why I'm thinking of it in this way, as if it's wrong to be calm. I sighed. It is to be expected, I've indulged too much in this peaceful place. Even back then when I was the boss, I killed. I thought to myself.

"I didn't expect you to be awake this late at night. I heard few are allowed to come into his majesty's room. So why...did you come, Princess Yona?" Soo-Won asked.

Ah, he's asking me something. I should answer him.

"I had a late night walk when I felt that something was off. I decided to head to father's room first to check whether he was alright or not. And here I come to find you heartlessly murdering the emperor..." I answered.

"You've changed, Soo-Won." I told him. Oddly enough, it was with a smile...no matter how much heartbreak I felt right now.

I wonder if Primo felt something similar to this when Daemon betrayed him. 

I wasn't directly betrayed but it was something too similar for me to feel pain.

BAM

The door suddenly opened behind me and a large group of men entered.