Edolas! Hughes x Reader | Cruel Fate | Part 3

Start from the beginning

I smiled, walking to the armoury and grabbing a sword and some camping things.

"You sure you can use it properly now?" He joked. I remembered the first time I held a sword.

"Hey! I course I can!" I defended. "The first time doesn't count"

"You can ride a horse?" He checked.

"Hey! Are you my guard or my dad?" I asked, annoyed at the questions.

"Wow, I was only kidding, no need to be defensive" he laughed. "How long will this take?"

"As long as it needs to, now can you please stop it with the questions?" I asked. He chuckled.

➳➳➳

I yawned, still riding on my horse.

"Tired?" Hughes asked form beside me.

"We've been riding all day" I said.

"Do you want to rest here then?" He asked. I shook my head.

"The sun's going to set soon" I looked at the sky.

"Let's hurry up then" his horse broke in a sprint. I followed, looking around at the sights.

The world really was a marvellous place. I heard a gun shot and something barely missed my head. My eyes widened and I froze.

"[Name]!" Hughes yelled, taking his sword out. "Who's there?"

I halted my horse, pulling out my sword as well.

"Stand up and fight" I jumped down, back to back with Hughes.

A small group of people circled us, all wearing shaggy, hole filled clothes.

"Well, well, well. I was hoping for a bigger group to disguise as" one said, who was clearly the leader.

"What do you plan on doing?" I asked, gripping my sword tightly.

"You think that we would let this kingdom be ruled once again? The former king ruined this place and his son won't be any better. Ain't that right fellas?!" He raised an arm in the air. I silently growled under my breath.

"Yeah!" Cheers called form the crowd.

"Don't, control yourself" Hughes whispered and I nodded.

"You see, we knew he would send someone out here, but we were hoping for an army to take out and sneak in the castle, but obviously, this is just two people"

"Why would you do something like that? The people are happy with the way it is now. The old King has fallen, a new reign has began. You have to at least give it a chance" I asked, containing my anger.

"And how would you know? How would the king know? This land was once free, the people were once free to do what they want! We cannot have another selfish king" someone jeered. I bit my lip.

"We cannot allow you to overthrow the new King, we'll eliminate all of you before you get close to the castle" Hughes said, readying his sword.

"For people in the castle, you sure are brave. But we have lived for this day, to see the castle tumbling to the ground!"

"Yeah!"

"Tell 'hem Boss!"

"And for that to happen, we must sneak in the castle" he grinned menacingly, his people jumping forward.

I quickly slashed at one of them, blood splattering on me. I winced, try to not think about the blood.

We quickly got rid of them but suddenly, a sword barely missed my face. I gulped, instantly turning to the side and kicking the holder of the sword.

"Looks like Girlie has some skills" the leader smirked, knocking my sword away and grabbing me by my throat, hoisting me up.

"L-Let me go!" I gasped, hands reaching up to try and pry his hands away.

I can't breath... I'm starting to panic... Hughes!

"Let her go" Hughes growled, raising his sword.

"Protective over your girlfriend aren't you?" He smirked.

"She's not my girlfriend"

"Then I just might have some fun with her" he dug a bit of his blade in my throat, drawing a bit of blood. I choked, trying to kick him.

I kicked the man in the face, making me fall to the ground. I rolled to the side and grabbed my sword. I heard a thud next to me as I tried to stand up.

"Are you alright?" Hughes stood next to me, turning me around.

"I'm fine" I tried to smile. He suddenly brought one arm around me, the other arm handing by his side. "What's wrong? It's just a scratch"

"I almost lost you. I should've been watching" he barely whispered. I blushed, feeling his breath in my ear.

"It's fine, I'm fine. You don't have to worry" I reassured him, dropping my sword and hugging him back.

"I know I'm not supposed to... I'm just a guard and you're a princess, but I love you [Name]" he barely whispered.

I was shocked beyond words, but closed my eyes, smiling.

"I love you too, Hughes" I said, just as quietly.

And as the light from the setting sun disappeared, we stood there, just hugging. A memory I'll never forget.

『 Cruel Fate End 』