Eight: A is for Alpha

~Recap:~

“Ah,” The woman typed something with her long, fake nails of her computer and smiled at me “Miss April Rose?”

I was about to argue with her but a warm hand was placed onto my shoulder, sending shivers down my spine.

“That’s right.” The voice said

And since when did I agree to change my name?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The hand squeezed my shoulder tightly, silently letting me know to go with what they were saying.

“Mr Knight,” The receptionist said in a tone of boredom and despair “The headmaster has told you that he needs to see you, several times.”

“Samantha,” Kyle said and I could just feel the smirk rising on his face. He let go of my shoulder and stepped in front of the “You know I have been busy.”

“Busy doing what?” The woman asked. She reminded me of Roz, the dispatch manager from Monster’s inc. Although the two shared no physical resemblance (because Roz was a slug with quiff stuck on the top of her head) her voice was similar and she elongated her words in the same annoying way.

Did you seriously just compare the receptionist from a monster in a kid’s film?

“I was looking for Arabella,” Kyle made my name sound more important and exotic that it really was.

Samantha, I think her name was, scoffed “Oh please, like Thomas would send you out to find his daughter.”

Thomas?

“I think you have forgotten I am Archie’s nephew. I’m basically royalty.” Kyle leaned forward and grabbed a piece of paper off of Samantha’s desk.

“Excuse me young man, what do you think you’re doing?” She screeched

“I’m just getting April her time table.” Kyle handed me the piece of paper

“The headmaster still wants to speak to you Kyle.” Samantha went on

A loud, high pitched wail attacked my eardrums making me jump. Looking around, I noticed that I was stood directly under a school bell.

“It’s just a bell Ari,” Dylan whispered and snickered

“I just didn’t expect it.” I mumbled in embarrassment

“Just tell Robert that I’ll see him later.” Kyle said to the receptionist before grabbing my bag and tugging me away from her.

“That’s Mr Williams to you!” Samantha shouted after us.

Kyle snickered as we walked away and through a hallway with doors on either side.

“You have to go to registration now,” Kyle said to me and I nodded “You’re in Dylan’s registration group so you should be fine.” He turned to Dylan “Keep her out of trouble and safe.”

“I am fully capable of looking after myself!” I argued but Kyle just rolled his eyes and walked away.

“Ignore him.” Dylan commanded and dragged me towards one of the doors. “This is our registration room.” We both peered in to see a woman, who I was guessing was the teacher, sat at the desk and a group of kids sitting down at desks, laughing and talking. “We come here every morning before our first lesson and every afternoon after the lat lesson.”