Making Up (Kate)

Pierce and I had a blast at the zoo. I was so thankful to spend time with him- just the two of us. We hadn't done that since Livi was born. My little prince was growing up. I opened the door, glad to see lunch was waiting for us on a room service cart.

"Hello there, Princess," I picked Livi up out of Stevie's arms. "Has your Gigi been holding you this whole time? huh? She's spoiling you!" I baby talked her while she giggled, Pierce crawling onto the couch to show off the sticker he was given and his new hat.

"Where's Daddy?" I looked around, the room showing no signs of him.

"Oh, he had to run to the venue. They were having a few issues at sound check."

I nodded my head in agreement.

"But Karen is going to come up while he naps so we can still make our appointment- if that's okay."

"Fine by me," I nodded my appreciation, popping a grape in my mouth. "Pierce Joseph, eat a few bites of your lunch. Mama's going to feed your sister."

He complied, moving onto Stevie's lap to do so as I walked to the back room.

I listened through the cracked door as I nursed Livi, Pierce talking happily and Stevie absolutely melting over him. I knew she loved us- all of us. I suddenly felt... overwhelmed. She'd shown me nothing but love and I'd repeatedly shut her out. I hadn't intended to... I was just- I don't know. I don't have a good reason. I've been so afraid she wouldn't like me, that she wouldn't want me around. I had put up such a wall that I'd never given her a fair chance. She'd bent over backwards for us, and I absolutely adored her already. I'd just somehow gravitated to Lindsey. I knew I wanted to make up for it. To tell her how I felt.

I looked down and Livi was nodding off, so I placed her in her bassinet and went to get Pierce, who was close to falling asleep in his lunch. I got him settled and he was snoozing in no time.

The two of us headed out for our afternoon as soon as Karen arrived, chatting idly on the car ride. Once we arrived she proudly introduced me, and I felt myself somewhat pulling into my shell. I was always friendly, but I remained reserved. I watched her closely and it was clear that everyone adored her. She was so warm to each person she encountered, talking with them as old friends.

She treated me to a day of pampering, my nails perfectly polished in a deep red, a facial and a haircut and blowout. We chatted some, but nothing heavy as we were never alone.

Once we were finished we both retreated to her dressing room, opening a bottle of champagne as she began makeup routine.

"I need to go back to the hotel and change," I told her, glancing at my watch.

She rummaged through a bag, looking for something.

"You don't have to go. Karen can get the kids ready and bring them, and I'll have someone pop by Neiman Marcus- just tell them what you'd like to wear."

I stood there, stunned. I couldn't remember the last time I'd splurged on a new outfit. I'd worn scrubs and a pony tail every day for years. And here I am.

I gratefully agreed, handing my measurements to a young man, sent by Karen, who hurried away.

I sat next to her at the vanity, slowly applying makeup. As the champagne flowed for me, I began to loosen up. I talked to her about Tyler and the kids, my job, all kinds of things.

"So, I realize it's none of my business, but what's the deal with you and Daddy? I mean I know what people say but..."

She smiled, her entire demeanor changing. It was as if she was love drunk. "We've always had something very special, Kate. It's difficult to explain, exactly. We're just, connected on many levels. It hasn't been easy for us, that's no secret, but things are different now. He's a good man, your father. He's my soulmate."

I nodded my head slowly. All of that was apparent to me, apparent to anyone who had been in the same room as the two of them.

"Kate," she continued, "you should know that you're probably going to hear a lot about this in the coming weeks. Brain and I have finalized our divorce, but Lindsey did nothing wrong. I don't want you to believe anything negative that you may hear, alright?"

I laughed a little bit. "I'm not eight years old, I think I can take it."

She patted my hand. "Emma Catherine, you'll always be a little girl to me."

I couldn't help but to warm at the sentiment. We were interrupted by a knock at the door, my outfit for the evening arriving. I wasn't sure exactly why I needed to be dressed up, I wasn't going anywhere, but I had to admit I was having fun. I put on a final touch of mascara and changed into the black dress, emerging with a newfound confidence.

Karen arrived soon after with the kids, pointing out that we were spitting images of one another, and tonight brought that out. I looked in the full length mirror as I stood next to Stevie. She was right. I looked exactly like my mother. Something I'd wanted for so long, a resemblance, and now I had it. We snapped a few photos before she had to take the stage.

I waited for a few minutes until Livi was asleep again and the concert was underway before I left Karen with the baby and took Pierce's hand, placing the ear protection on him, and walked to the side of the stage. I knew he would be beyond excited to see his Papa play.

I was right. He was over the moon. I stood him on an empty trunk on just out of the spotlight and let him watch, hopping up and down to the beat as my dad sailed on his guitar. Eventually Christine began to tell a story and Pierce caught Dad's attention, waving madly. He stood there beaming at us, before quickly running off stage to give my little guy a quick high five and a kiss on the head.

"You look beautiful, sweetheart," he told me, kissing me on the cheek. "Stunning. Just like your mother."

I blushed, knowing that was the most sincere compliment he could ever give.

He re-entered the spotlight, whispering something to Stevie. Only moments later I was completely blown away to hear Landslide subtly dedicated to me. I picked Pierce up, swaying with him to the tune, completely overcome with emotion in the moment as I watched the love between my parents come alive once again before me.

The lights dimmed as I placed Pierce back on his feet and Stevie walked over towards me, her wardrobe people quickly rushing to her with a quick change of her shawl, but she pushed past them, wrapping me in a hug. I could tell that she too was fighting tears. Her free hand immediately grazed Pierces fine hair to acknowledge him as she pulled me closer.

"I love you, sweet girl," she told me.

I squeezed her back. "I love you too, Mom."