Tension (Her)

I slid my key into my front door, turning it until the lock clicked and walking inside to a silent house. I dropped my small bag and let out a deep breath. This was the beginning of my new life, I supposed. Brian had already moved his things out and the boys were with their mother. My house suddenly seemed so overwhelmingly large and so empty.

Lindsey and I had woken up early to catch our flight back and after dropping me off at the house he returned to his place. I told him I'd take a quick shower and be over. I stood at the top of the stairs and looked over my living room and kitchen. I loved all of my days filled with the boys laugher, all the chaos that they brought with them and the memories that we made. But they were gone now and I hoped, that even though that chapter of my life was closing, a new one would be opening with Kate and the kids.

I made quick work of getting ready to go, not wanting to waste any time getting to Lindsey's. As soon as I had myself together I gathered my things and picked up the phone to call a car when I heard my garage door opening and Landon calling for me. He told me he heard I was in town from Kate and he came to give me a lift to the party. I was immediately beaming. All of the boys were invited, he told me, as they'd quickly grown close to Kate, and they had a special spot in their hearts for Pierce and Livi. The fact that everyone was getting along in the midst of all of this change elated me. My family was my everything.

Landon drove us all to Kate's house, obviously knowing the way. As we approached I couldn't help but stare- her home was beautiful from the outside. It wasn't what I would have imagined but it was quite impressive, actually. I wondered if this was what Tyler was trying to take in the settlement. I knew that she was a hard worker but the home was beyond lavish- did she have an inheritance? We rang the bell and Kate quickly answered, warmly greeting us all with Livi in tow. Lindsey joined her at the front door with Pierce trailing behind him, already overly excited for his party and the arrival of more guests.

I was a bit surprised as I didn't see Lindsey's car out front but as I looked around I realized why. This was his house. I suddenly felt uncomfortable, and perhaps a bit stupid. I'd never been here before, but it was telling. His sterile bachelor pad decor choices were littered with a few toys and the kid's school pictures leaning up on the mantle. Was Kate living here? With Lindsey?

I swallowed back my questions for once and just enjoyed the company telling Pierce happy birthday and he jumped up and down and taking Livi to give her a kiss. Eventually Kate and I were alone as I helped her in the kitchen and I realized how quaint it all seemed. The surface showed a picture perfect family but in all reality our problems ran deep.

"So," I began timidly, not looking up from the snacks I was placing into a cooler, "are you three living here? With Lindsey?"

I tried to be nonchalant but I wasn't sure if I was fooling her.

"Um, well," she shrugged her shoulders, "my condo was having some work done on it last week so Daddy said we could crash here instead of staying in a hotel. It was so much easier for the kids.  And then with everything with Tyler last week, he offered to just let us stay."

Her voice was shaky by the end of her sentence and I realized none of this really mattered anymore. I stopped what I was doing. "Oh, sweetheart, come here," I wrapped her in a hug. "I know it's hard, baby, I know. But you're going to get through it, okay? I'm going to make sure of that." I heard her sniffle a little and I pulled back ever so slightly holding her at less than arms length so I could see her face. She was looking at the floor, holding her tears back. "Look at me," I told her sternly, and she complied. "You're a strong woman, Emma Catherine. And you have to believe me when I tell you that nobody will ever take your babies away from you. I will never, ever let that happen on my watch. Do you understand me?"

She nodded that she did and I wiped the tears from her eyes, giving her another hug.

"Now," I continued, "keep your head up today, and trust me when I tell you that our lawyers will handle it. You will always have a place to stay and a support system with Lindsey and I, so let's all focus on showing that sweet little boy a good time this afternoon and you and I will talk more tonight, alright?"

She gave me a weak smile and continued what she was previously working on as I changed the subject, lightening the topic. I never wanted her to have to worry about anything like this. And though I may not have been around to patch up skinned knees or or pick her up when she stumbled I knew in my soul that I certainly was going to take care of her now. Mama was going to make it all better- somehow.

The guys loaded the vehicles and soon we were off to the party. I rode with Lindsey in Kate's SUV, well concealed in the back seat with a sleeping Livi. We drove until we reached a very exclusive country club, Kate showing her ID for entry at the gate.

"Tyler's parents are members at this club," she explained. "They have a kid's area with a splash pad and a small pavilion, so they reserved it for Pierce's birthday months ago." She then turned around to look at me. "I don't think anyone will bother you here," she added biting her lip.

It was sweet of her to be so concerned. My boys helped Kate decorate and it looked wonderful, and the guests began to arrive, including Tyler and his parents. I was sitting inside the air conditioned car with the still sleeping baby but I could tell it was him by Kate's interaction. She tensed up and they were immediately bickering about something. I watched them closely as Kate looked annoyed but kept a smile on her face for the kids.

Lindsey returned to the car soon after, his jaw set in irritation as he approached. He informed me that we had to go pick up the birthday cake from the bakery as Tyler failed to do so. Livi and I rode in the back as Lindsey remained in his thoughts driving in the front seat. "I don't like like the way he talks to her," he finally announced. "His parents are a pain in the ass too. I don't think this is going to go well. He can't even be bothered to pick up his own son's birthday cake, when she did everything else," he ranted, tightening his grip on the steering wheel and accelerating to merge onto the freeway. "He didn't even ask about Livi and he hasn't seen her in two months!"

I placed my hand on his shoulder to calm him, giving him a gentle squeeze from the back seat. I could feel the tension immediately leaving his body a bit as he reached up with his opposite arm and patted my hand.

"Thanks, angel," he told me, giving me a gentle smile into the rear view mirror.