Couldn't Wait (Him)

Stevie had barely spoken to me since we'd slept together. She was all business and though I wanted to reach out to her I knew better. We were home from New York, still rehearsing locally before a quick break and then we'd be hitting the road. I knew she needed to be alone when she was like this. I had a way of making things worse and I knew I was on uneasy ground to say the least. Something had clicked in my head today though, as I sat in my home studio. Something about Kate. And even though I knew I should leave Stevie alone right now, I also knew I needed some answers. And that's why I currently sat in my car, cruising down the street just out side her house.

When I approached her driveway, though, I saw Brian pulling in, an oversized bouquet in his front seat. Any conversation that I needed to have with Stevie on this topic, though, needed to be private.

But I couldn't wait.

I hit the accelerator again and headed to Kate's. I spotted her as soon as I pulled into the lot, she was unloading her bag from her SUV. I parked my vehicle quickly and jogged over to her. "Kate!" I called out and she turned to face me.

"Lindsey, hi!" She greeted my warmly. "How have you been?"

I fumbled with my keys a bit, closing the hatch to her vehicle after she removed her oversized purse.

"Listen, Kate, I'm so sorry I keep dropping by like this, but I wondered if we could talk? Just for a few minutes."

"Um, sure. What's up, Lindsey?"

How was I supposed to begin? I ran my hand through my curls. "There's no easy way to begin this. But I need to know. I need some-"

Her gaze shifted to something beyond me as she furrowed her brow a bit at the man walking directly towards her.

I turned as well as the man approached us, nodding an acknowledgement of my presence.

He extended his hand to offer over an envelope to Kate. His voice was deep when he spoke, and she watched him closely, confused. "Emma Catherine Gray?" He questioned.

Emma? Emma Catherine? My head was spinning. Did I hear that correctly? My heart pounded in my chest as I turned to her to wait for a response.

"Yes?"

"You've been served." He turned and left.

Emma. Emma Catherine Gray. I was right- Kate was my sweet little Emma. My head spun. I was in my own little world of pure elation for a brief second before I realized she was staring at the envelope she'd just been handed with tears rolling down her cheeks.

She looked over at me, and I must have worn my thoughts on my face.

She gave me a small nod yes to the question she knew I was afraid to ask and I was immediately overcome.

"Oh sweetheart," I barely choked out. "Come here." I wrapped her in a hug, suddenly seeing her as the little girl that I parted with so many years ago. I lightly kissed her hair and squeezed a little tighter as my emotions became overwhelming.

After a few seconds I could hear her softly crying too and she hugged me a bit tighter. I immediately became protective of her, wanting to comforter her in any way possible, and wondering if she was in trouble. We stood there for a few minutes in silence, her petite frame wrapped in my protective embrace. I didn't know what to think. I was so overcome. The little girl I'd been searching him for was finally back in my life.