Chapter 6- Nibble Fix

Zach was finishing up with Misty in the arena. She had finally calmed down after Ronnie's entrance, and was once again curious. As he rubbed his fingers for her to approach, he heard Kelly speak from the bleachers. "She seems to be doing well."

He scowled, rubbing Misty's little head for her good work. "You father didn't help, barging in here and spooking the hell out of her." He snapped his mouth shut at his mistake. "Sorry."

She gave him a wan smile as he approached the fence, his small pupil in tow. "It's okay. I can let it go this time." She rapped the pony's forehead gently, the chestnut ears perked as Misty reached toward her with her muzzle. "You probably like to nibble on things, don't you?" She asked the little creature.
Zach snorted. "She's gotten better. I bobbed her once, and since then she just needs reprimanded."

Kelly smiled, then her face lit up as she got an idea. "Go ahead and turn her loose. I think I know how we can fix that." She strolled out of the barn, laughing as she went.

Zach turned Misty loose, and she took a few steps away before flopping down in the cool dirt and rolling, her brown legs flying up in the air as she squirmed on her back. When she stood up, she shook off before trotting away from Zach. She investigated another area of dirt, and rolled again, then shook off before going back to him. "Silly thing," He murmured as he clipped the lead back on.

He'd just tied her up when Kelly came back into the barn, a small grin on her face. Without saying a word to Zach, she walked right up to Misty and held out her hand. A dark cloth that didn't match her shirt was poking out under her jacket. "Watch this," she whispered.

Misty immediately grabbed onto the cloth with her teeth, eyes alert and shining, pleased with herself. Then a look of utter confusion washed over her face, before she released Kelly and sneezed violently. She licked her lips, and curled her upper one back before sneezing again.

Zach laughed. "What'd you do?"

"Motor oil." Kelly laughed as she pulled the cloth from her jacket, revealing an old rag with a corner that had been dipped. "This little bit won't hurt her, and it'll hopefully help that biting problem."

Zach laughed and started brushing Misty, who was still sneezing, trying to get rid of the bad taste in her mouth. When he remained silent, Kelly tipped her head down to catch his eyes. "Are you okay?"

Zach sighed, knowing they had come to the real reason Kelly was out there. "It's been awhile since I've been judged like that," he muttered. "I just...wasn't ready for it."

"I know," she responded, her voice just above a whisper. "Hearing your father basically accuse you of being stupid is a hard hitter, too."

Zach saw red for a moment. "Why would he do that?" He growled, the brush tight in his grip. "You're not stupid, Kelly. I can't thank you enough for what you did for me."

She smiled. "That means a lot, Zach." She sobered up, though, and became quiet again. "This is going to be rough. Dad is stuck on your past, and Mom is stuck on mine. She thinks I'm trying to replace Sam with you."

Zach, finished with grooming, returned the brush before hugging Kelly. "I know you aren't," he assured her before locking eyes with her. "We can do this," He told her. "It's only today and tomorrow. And we have backup tonight."

Kelly laughed. "I take it you and Dune get along?"

"He's quiet," Zach admitted. "But I think I like that, He has a way with the horses."

She laughed, thinking back on the conversations she and Rylie had shared before. "Zach, you have no idea on that one." 

^^^

I'm finally caught up, guys! Alright, just a chapter a day from here on out. Should be easy, right? *crosses fingers, toes, legs and arms* I hope so.

So what do you think so far?  I know that a few of you may be curious about Crystal. I'll let you know about her and Ronnie later. Any ideas about what will happen?

Next chapter is Christmas Eve Dinner...All I can say is, hang on tight. We joke about Thanksgiving Dinner conversations with family members; well, this might be along those lines...