32. Wishing We Could Start Again

Start from the beginning

He pursed his lips and was silent for a few moments before continuing. "So this is it?" He asked.

I nodded. "It's for the best." I felt a lump form in my throat and I did my best to withhold the tears threatening to fall.

"I understand." He stood up and I joined him. "Things were good while they lasted." He chuckled.

"Thank you for being such an amazing guy. I know you'll find someone that'll treat you like you deserve." I said.

He wrapped his strong arms around me in what'll probably be the last hug I'll receive from him. "Bye, Brooke."

"Bye, Ashton." I wiped my eyes as he walked away and got in his car. I watched as he pulled out and headed down the street before going back inside and straight up to my room.

That was easier than I thought. I thought he'd be extremely upset but instead he was calm and understanding. I meant every word I said to him, about him being amazing 'cause he truly is. Not many guys would be okay with a girl confessing she kissed someone else. I'm glad I was finally able to get it off of my chest and don't have to feel guilty anymore.

Now that that's taken care of, there's still the matter of Luke and Avery. I care about Luke but I can't just steal him away from her, she's my friend. But he's the one that kissed me so what's really going on? It wasn't something accidental, he really meant it. He grabbed my face and everything. Does he really care for her as much as he leads on or is there something going on? He didn't seem to care that he was cheating on her and showed no remorse when I brought it up to him at school.

It's probably best to talk to him instead of speculating. But I can't just come out and say I broke up with Ashton because I wanted to be with him. I just need to see what he has to say and hopefully I get the answers I'm hoping for.

*Avery's POV*

I woke up feeling good which was a surprise to me given my current situation. I can't explain the feeling it just feels...good; like today isn't gonna totally suck. Maybe it was because today is the last day before break. Whatever the reason, I hope the good feeling lasts all day.

I got up and headed to the bathroom to shower. Once I got out, I put on my robe and brushed my teeth before going to my room to get dressed. Since I was feeling good today, I decided to wear something a little different. I took out a cream colored sweater and a red skirt to put on instead of my usual black and grey.

After dressing and putting my hair in a braid, I went to my dad's room to see what he wanted for breakfast.

I knocked on his door. "Dad?" I asked. I received no answer. "Dad?" I repeated, opening the door a crack. To my surprise, he wasn't in there.

I headed downstairs to the kitchen and found a note on the counter. I picked it up to read, my smile growing more and more as I read each line. He went out of town again and was probably gonna miss Christmas.

This couldn't have made me any happier. Most people would probably be upset to be without family during the holidays but being without my dad during the most joyous holiday of the year was a great thing. He would've sucked all the Christmas spirit out of me, ruining the holiday. But since he's gone, I can decorate and enjoy the movies like any other person.

I went back upstairs to finish getting ready and then locked the door when I exited the house to grab my bike.

Looks like my great day is off to an amazing start. My dad not being here is by far the best news I could've received. Let's just hope the goodness continues and Luke isn't a total dick to me today.