15. Speak of the Devil

Start from the beginning

A voice sounds from behind me, "Aiden?"

I push myself away from the door, "Sweetheart? What are you doing awake? And way are you up walking?! You should be resting." 

She limps her way in my direction but I meet her half way so she'll stop walking. She takes off the blanket around her and puts it around me. "Where have you be- oh my god, Aiden!" Her hand goes to my jaw, brushing the bruise lightly.

"Don't concern yourself with my bruises, I deserve them. You on the other hand do not, you should be resting." She looks as tired as I feel. Her eyes aren't as bright as usual and her words have a cute delay to them. Her hand has yet to leave my jaw, still moving her soft fingers across it. I reach up and take her hand in mine. She meets my gaze. "I was just being clumsy, it's nothing, Sweetheart."

She completely ignores what I've said about her needing rest, "It doesn't look like nothing, tell me the truth." Her tired voice gains a stern essence to it. 

"How about I tell you in the morning?" She's too tired now for that story and maybe by tomorrow she'll forget. 

She wants to object but gives in, "Promise?"

"I promise, Sweetheart." I chuckle. She's so sweet. First she puts her blanket around me when she sees I'm cold, now she's worrying about a simple bruise. 

Bruise. That's right, I still need to apologize for everything...

As I was about to say something, she stunned me. Her arms wrapped around me in a hug. It took a few seconds for me to hug her back, but when I realized what was going on, I put my arms around her, holding her against  me. I feel her relax into me to the point where I'm sure she'd fall if I let go. I figure this is as good an opportunity as any to apologize. I doubt she'll forgive me. I know she wouldn't ignore me or be hostile towards me, that much is obvious, but still. Just the thought of her being upset with me or holding a grudge against me at all kills me. 

I rest my head lightly on top of hers and whisper, "I don't even know where to begin with this, so let's pretend I know how to do this," I don't apologize for the stuff I do. Rarely do I even care that I did anything wrong. It's never mattered. The guys are used to me, the girls I'm with don't mean anything to me as sad as that may sound, and I don't have anyone else to let down. "I'm really sorry. Those words probably don't mean much but-" And she cuts me off.

"You were forgiven the moment you did it." She begins. "I was pissed at you, still am. But you were already forgiven." She doesn't look up at me, just continues laying her head on my chest. 

"Thank you, Sweetheart." My voice is so quiet, I'm not even sure she heard me until she hugs me tighter. "Can I take you to bed now?" I know she'll probably argue me, but I need to get her back to bed. She looks half asleep, I doubt she got even a blink of sleep. 

She unwraps herself from me, putting her weight back on her own feet. I'd forgotten about the cold with her against me, now the cold air rushes back to, stinging on my skin. "Fine." she says, "But I've been laying there for hours without any luck at falling asleep." She can't sleep? But after everything she's gone through today? How can she not sleep? I'd just straight up pass out if I were her. I'm exhausted now and I haven't even been through much. 

"Well, lucky for you, I'm here now." I smirk.

"And what's that gonna do for me?" She gives me a 'seriously?' kind of look that only she can pull off that well.

"Don't worry about that, Sweetheart. I'll take care of it." She just rolls her eyes and turns around as if to walk to her room. 

"Whoa whoa whoa, you're not walking all the way up there when I'm around to carry you." I carefully scoop her up in my arms as she lets out a tiny surprised squeal and latches onto me.