9. Not so Subtle

Aiden's P.O.V.

Words. Any words. Any words will work. Just say words.

But I can't. I'm literally out of words. I was joking, and I think she was serious. Did she actually mean that? The cute, shy way she said it makes me think she did. I could always test my theory.

We pull into the garage and she gets out instantly, heading inside without a word. I think she surprised herself with that answer.

She's so cute when she's nervous and the way she huddled up in my hoodie was adorable. It was as if she was trying to hide in it. It's a couple sizes too big for her so she pretty much was hidden in it. She's so different from all the other girl's I've liked. She didn't just fall head over heels for the bad boy. She treated me like a person, not a god.

Did I just admit I like her? I guess I did. I've sort of known since the mall. I kept finding myself enjoying her company more and more but I denied it all. What's not to like? She's adorable and beautiful in every way. The way she stutters sometimes when shes nervous and her small voice that can get fierce if she's angry. It's all perfect.

I close down the garage door and walk inside to find her staring curiously at the staircase that would eventually lead to her room. Honestly I wish she'd just stay in my room with me. I'd sleep on the floor and she could have my bed. Her presence is comforting. Ever since my mother's death, I've dealt with a lot of insomnia and nightmares so having someone else in the room makes me feel a little safer.

"Whatcha doin?" I ask.

"Well I'd planned to go straight to my room but I don't know the way in this stupid mansion." She looks cute when she's frustrated. Scratch that, she's always cute.

"You don't want to sit down and explain to me why you didn't have a ride home?" I'd almost forgotten that I should ask that.

"Not really." Charlie attempts to look at me but can't make eye contact without blushing. It makes me smile. She's just like a little kid on the play ground talking to her crush.

I reach my hand out to her, letting her decide whether or not to take my hand. When she does take my hand, I say, "This way, sweetheart." and lead her up the stairs and in the direction of the guest room she was staying in.

The dark halls seem to make her uneasy because she gets noticeably closer to me within a couple seconds. I decide not to comment on it to save her from getting all nervous again. I really don't want her uncomfortable around me.

We stop at her room and she looks inside, taking in the darkness. The only light is coming from the window.

"Um..." She begins, but I cut her off.

"I'll get you a night light, don't worry. Just stay here and I'll go find one for you."

"Okay."

I walk off, trying to remember the last place I had seen the wolf lamp I had when I was a kid. Maybe up in the attic.

So I headed up another level of the house and to the rickety old attic ladder I climb up and open the hatch. Dust flies everywhere, causing me to cough. For your information, I haven't been up here in at least a year.

The attic is a fairly small space and around Halloween could seem really creepy. I didn't known this much dust could show up in a year but my footsteps leave faint prints in it. I dust off a box and open it, hoping I guessed the right box. Sadly no.

I went through about three boxes before I found the stupid thing. I close up the cardboard box and quietly leave the attic, shutting the trap style door behind me. Although the halls are dark, I've lived here for years so I know my way around.