Ch 23

Springs dig into my ribs, and the blankets were scratchy under my arms, but I couldn’t seem to drag myself off the bed. I was hopelessly tied. Lost in the state where I was awake but didn’t want to leave the comfort; couldn’t drag myself from this slim amount of heaven.

It’s not until something grey wonders across the floor, sniffing the floor.

I force myself up on an arm. My brain wasn’t working properly, but the sight of the creature made something click. It was out of place, it shouldn’t be here.

Small black eyes turn to me and instantly every muscle in the animal’s body tenses as it freezes in place. Then, without a single sound the tiny mouse darts across the room, disappearing through a crack in the wall.

“Of, course; they have to have mice” I mumble to myself as I roll off the bed and onto my feet, “Wouldn’t be a proper western experience otherwise.” In my head I was ticking off everything western-y. From the old fashioned ‘door’ to the fences hand crafted from trees, all the way to the words like ‘Inn’ and ‘Goal’. But I quickly gave up, knowing there was  more than I hadn’t seen yet-and hopefully wouldn’t.

I was missing civilization, I wanted to go back to the soft beds and hot water.

But I also wanted more sleep, and I doubted I could get any more with this dusty bed and sharp bed springs. “Did they have bed springs back in the 1800’s?” I mumble to myself as I rack my hand threw my hand and glance around the room. Matt was nowhere in sight, and my only company besides the hiding mouse was a pile of clothes sitting on the chest.

Carefully I grab the scratchy fabric, scared what I might find. The dress was floor length a simple, pale tan colour with what was one white mid waist belt. It was sleeved, and had a modest neckline. Dirt and dust stain the end bottom of the dress, and a small stain was on the shoulder.

Unenthusiastically I fold the dress up messily and drop it on the end of the bed. I wasn’t wearing that.

Still sitting on the chest I find an off white piece of fabric and a tangle of stings. “You got to be kidding me” I grumble for making my out the door. Leaving the hand me down dress and the silly corset.

I didn’t care what Tommie wanted, I wasn’t wearing that dress. He’d have to force me into it, cause no way was I going to wear it otherwise.

My feet echo though the empty hall as I make my way down stair. Benny greets me in the reception with a nod but says nothing.

“Where’s Matt?” I ask the old man.

His dull eyes meet mine for a second before he turns slowly in his seat and points out the door. Again I couldn’t help thinking his arm was too skinny. His tanned skin droops, his arms frail and weak. His hand then turns, pointing right.

“Thanks” I say fondly and leave the building, turning right like Benny had pointed. An old lady says a hello to me as I walk past the Bakery and a man tilts his hat at me as I wonder down the road. The wind had died down a lot since yesterday, yet the heat was just as intense, if not worse.

I quickly stop for directions, asking where Tom was. The kid –yes, a kid- points me the direction large shed as he eyes my singlets and shorts. “He was with some guy. That who you’re really looking for, ain’t it?”

“Yeah, thanks”

“Have a good ‘ay ma’am” he nods at me before grabbing the crate of milk bottles and shuffling away.

I watch the boy walk away for a second before heading to the shed covered in metal sheets. Before I can reach it the door swings open with a screech and Matt lumbers out. It was almost comical to see him carrying hay bale, wet patches of sweat and muscles straining as he holds up the lump of dry grass.