Chapter One

The Wondrous Silver Bell

Chapter One

I walked gently along the soft white sand with my mind in a frenzy as the peaceful sound of the ocean tides tried to caress my thoughts.

It has been one week since the forced separation between the sweetest parents and their most loved daughter. I have never been this long without talking to them. My separation anxiety was definitely kicking in and every day was getting worse by the second. I do not sleep at night. How would I be able to sleep knowing that my two favorite people are buried 6 feet underground within just mere yards of me?

"Don't be a bad girl, Noelle, or else you'll go to Hell and feel its excruciating pain," my mother used to say sternly to me when I had done something wrong. So why am I here standing feeling such pain in my heart, yet I have not done a single thing wrong?

I was a strong, independent woman. Someone who could live without the dependence of others. However, when we ran away from the war I decided to stay with my parents for the time being. We moved from place to place for a year and a half until we created this island around 6 months ago and built our house here. We never thought we our location would be discovered, but the cruelty of war has scented us out.

During the week, I have had nothing but negative thoughts. I could only blame myself. This war started with me and it will end with me. I can assure them that.

I saw this coming, but I did not want to believe it. That he was behind it all. The man who claimed to love me but wiped my species out in an instant.

Warlocks. Evil and treacherous creatures. They were the ones who murdered not only my family, but also the rest of us Magicians.

The scene keeps replaying itself in my head...

It was around three in the afternoon and my father and I were reciting spells as my practice of the day. My mother was making our afternoon tea and I remember laughing because she had just spilled some of the tea while tripping on the stairs, as she was clumsy. My father and I went to go help her and decided to drink our tea in the living room.

It was a normal day, really. There were no birds, the breeze was perfect, and the natural sound of the ocean was breathless.

Our guard was down and we did not feel their presence or hear them land. The Warlocks broke into our home and for my parents it was their last normal day on earth.

We were in a frenzy and in panic. My mother's face was in anguish as she used her magic to push me into a corner and chanted a spell with her hand pointed at my direction that placed an indestructible barrier that I could not escape. My father shut his eyes in concentration and whispered something inaudible.

It happened within seconds. We were caught by surprise and unprepared.

I banged on the barrier until my hands bled, but to no avail. I screamed, but to not avail. I casted spells, but to no avail. Nothing worked. All I could do was watch from the sidelines as my parents were murdered.

Seeing as I could not break the barrier I had reached the conclusion that, my parent's had used Entoubris. This spell is one of many reasons for why other species desire magicians to become extinct. It is the last spell that a magician can make within 15 minutes of their death. It is permanent unless a time restriction conducted. It is very powerful. Many late magicians had used it to make the world a better place. The creation of death and evil was never a product of the spell. Even so, other species were seething with jealousy and outrage.

One thing led to another and before anyone realized it, magicians were diminishing one by one.

However, it is very difficult to conduct such a spell within seconds, and I realized that my parents had planned this.