Part 53

Harmony felt like a stranger standing in her parent's kitchen. Her black heels clicked on the dark wood floors that were once light stone. The autumn sun beamed against gray-blue pantries and white granite countertops that use to be maple and slate. She knew her mom was upset but not this much. Harmony knew something was going to be different in the house because ever since she was little when life spun out of Evelyn's control she would redecorate. 

Over the years Harmony came home to a color-coded closet, feng shui family room, and newly painted foyer just to name a few. However, she never came home to an all new room, especially not one right off the Pottery Barn website. Harmony's mouth dropped even the light fixtures were different.

      Harmony tore the plastic wrapping off the bouquet of black dahlias. "Mama, where are the scissors?" She thought she'd ask since everything about the room had changed.

     "Where they always are," Evelyn answered shaking salt into the pot of shimmering mustard greens. She placed the lid on the pot and turned away from the stove, "What?"

        Harmony realized confusion claimed her wrinkled eyebrows, "Nothing." She relaxed her face and retrieved the scissors from the last drawer, filthy with takeout menus and coupons. "Mom." She called low but her mom still lifted her head. They locked eyes while her mom still sliced a lemon and Harmony remembered why she followed that plan she made up. It was to be like her mom: an esteemed career woman, nurturing mother, and an attentive wife. "Are you still mad at me?" Her words come out as if they were one.

       Evelyn stopped slicing, "No, sweetheart." Her voice elevated. She dropped the knife and came around the island. She pushed back the stray curl out of her daughter's face. "I was upset." She inhaled deeply letting her hand fall to Harmony's shoulder. "I always told your daddy we would wait until you got old enough but when you got old enough I wasn't ready."

      Harmony placed her hand on the mom's, "I know how you feel." Her mom smiled a smile Harmony hadn't seen since that day she came home after reading Laurent's letter.

      "Harmony." Lela breathed out like she had run a mile. "Do you have $94.31?" She dropped a tote bag on the countertop. "I had to call an Uber."

      "You ran out of gas?" Harmony peeked in the tote bag. She grinned discovering Lela made the mini pecan pies.

      "I don't know!" Lela half shrugged. She pulled her Jolt uniform shirt out her khakis. "It just died on the interstate." She dropped the duffle bag with her change of clothes in it to the floor. "It's still sitting in Brenham."

      "You can use my emergency card." Harmony looked over at her mom to check if it was okay. Her mom nodded before turning to the sink. "My purse is in my room." She pointed to the stairs.

        "Thanks!" Lela enveloped Harmony in a hug. "I'll pay you back." She shouted before running up the stairs.

      "She's still having money problems." Evelyn used her fuchsia apron to dry her hands.

       Harmony didn't know if it was a question or a statement so she nodded anyway. The cheers from the living room caused her to look at the wall as if she could see through it. Harmony didn't have too. She knew her friends; Samuel and her Dad were sprawled out on couches and chairs watching a football game. Harmony looked at her phone nibbling on her bottom lip. He hadn't sent a message.

      "When is Wes getting here?" Evelyn opened the oven door letting rosemary and thyme wafted through the kitchen.

     "He's not." Harmony slapped her hands together and clasped them. "He went home." She left it at that withholding the juicy bits. She leaned on the island watching her mother baste the turkey like she did every Thanksgiving. A text flashed on her phone and she knew this year's Thanksgiving wasn't going to be like the others. "Be back!" She rushed out prancing to the front door.

        Harmony stood in front of the door counting to ten. She didn't want to seem over eager but she was. She smoothed out her hair, fixed the tuck of her burgundy sweater and wiped the sweat off her hands and onto her navy A-line skirt. "You got this Harmony." She wiped open the door. She smiled seeing them standing there, Laurent with a bottle of wine, Cecelia cradling a bouquet of sunflowers and Ariel pushing her way between her parents.

        "Hey, sis!" Ariel flung her arms around Harmony's neck. "Hey, Mrs. Monroe!"

       Harmony pried Ariel's hands from around her neck, "Mom!" She squawked spinning around causing her skirt to balloon.

       Evelyn narrowed her eyes at Harmony. She stuck her finger at her, "Now, Harmony...I'm mad!"