Part 46

"This should cover it!" Safiya spewed throwing the wad of cash on Carter's birch desk.

       A stop by Archer Manor, the renovated estate turned into offices for various professors, was not on Safiya's itinerary. Nevertheless, that's where she was. Carter's office was a rustic square with teal walls lined with books, a small fire crackling on a somewhat chilly day, and a ragged blue couch he told her dated back to his very own college days.

      It came that morning with three loud knocks at the door. Safiya stopped digging through her jewelry box for the perfect pair of earrings to match her flowy silver dress. She ran down the stairs as fast as her rotund belly would allow her. The smile that was plastered on her face was erased when she saw the box the FedEx man had resting at his side. The sheer joy she had beaming from every ounce of her soul evaporated as she signed her name on the black line.

      Carter calmly closed his laptop. His gray eyes appraised the scattered greenbacks, "It should." He refocused on her.

      "Good!" She broke away from his piercing gaze. "Then we're settled. I paid you for the crib." She headed for the door with haste.

       "But..." His baritone halted her steps. The creak of his chair made her turn back around. He rose to his full height grabbing the chunk of cash. "I'm not taking it." He forged towards her and she stepped back until she bumped against the door. 

   He clutched her wrist and within seconds he evoked emotions that took her weeks to tuck away. She tried to break free of his grasp but his fingers didn't budge under her strength. Carter sat the money in her palm. 

   "Take it back." He ordered.

       Safiya turned her face, setting her eyes on the window and away from him. "I don't want anything from..." His hand touched her chin canceling the sound in her mouth. 

    He turned her face back to him. His orbs locked onto hers like magnets, then tickled over her face studying every inch of her honey skin. His mouth lowered and she wanted it. She wanted to taste the spearmint that always overpowered the coffee that lingered on his tongue. She wanted to feel the warmth of his hand on the back of her neck. Her heart wanted the softest lips she ever explored but the kick in her abdomen overrode every iota of her yearning. Her hand flew up thrashing him against the cheek.

        He lunged back holding his reddening face, less from pain. Shock hung in his eyes.

       "No!" Safiya let the money pour from her hand. "No!" She stuck her finger toward him. "These lips aren't your's anymore." 

        Carter stopped holding his face, "Those lips may not be mine but that is!" He gestured to her stomach.

      "She is not yours!" Safiya outbursted.

      "She." His mouth hung open glaring at her belly like he could see through her flesh and view the developing fetus. "We're having a daughter."

       "We!" Safiya gasped. "We aren't having anything." She rubbed her hands down her stomach then cradled the cocoon that housed her baby. "Let's get this straight, Carter. You have two sons." He narrowed his eyes at her words as he tightly folded his arms bunching up his chambray shirt. "I repeat two sons. You have no daughter."

      "You're joking, right." The corners of his mouth turned up but quickly lowered at the sternness canvassing her face. "You expect me to never see my child!"

     "You're the one that wanted me to get an abortion. Just act like I had one and move the hell on!"

       "I apologized for that!" He barked out. "You caught me off guard and I panicked." He roughly combed his hands through his tousled tresses. "I will see my child and I will be there when you have her."

       "No!" Safiya yelled not caring if the lingering professors heard her down the hall. "No, you will not...you lunatic."

       "Yes, I will!" Carter spat out.

      "No, you won't," Safiya growled. "Because if I see you or receive so much as a pacifier from you...I will tell your wife all about us."

       Carter stepped back pushing up his sleeves even more, "Is that a threat?

     "It's honesty." Safiya tucked her hair behind her earring-less ear.

      "Well, let me be honest with you." Carter clasped his hands, placing his pointing fingers against his lips; the lips she wanted to kiss earlier. "My phone's in my briefcase." He pointed to the briefcase resting on the side of his desk. "Get it. Type in the code, you know it. It's your birthday, type it in and call my wife." His nose flared. "Her name's Sylvan."

         Safiya's chest heaved from the immense anger rippling through her body. She knew he wasn't bluffing as he stood there watching her with misty eyes, "Fuck you." She muttered.

        "Please," Carter begged, his arms carelessly dropped at his sides. "Right here. On the couch...like old times."

       Safiya skimmed her eyes over the couch remembering all the times he made her body his paradise in that very spot. "I hate you." She plainly spoke watching the blood drain from Carter's face.

        "I know..." He breathed out walking back to his desk chair. "And that hurts more than you'll ever know." 

Do you think Safiya was right for paying Carter for the crib and not wanting him to see his daughter?