Chapter 22

CHAPTER 22:

I woke up to my phone ringing. I cracked my eyes to find it was Kya. I reluctantly grabbed my phone from the nightstand. "What?" I grumbled into the phone. "Are you still sleeping? Girl, get up. Today's the day and you need to get your ass  out here before Trevor has a panic attack." Kya said, her voice cheery. I looked at my clock. Shit. It was 11:30 and I was supposed to already be up and at the park. "Alright. I'm up. Tell Trev I'll be there in half an hour." I spoke into the phone and hung up. I hauled myself out of bed and slumped into my bathroom. I started the shower as I brushed my teeth and got in when it was the nice medium between scalding lava hot and freezing rain. 

15 minutes later, I pulled on some blue jeans, a white long-sleeve shirt, and my black high-tops before going downstairs.  I walked into the kitchen and found my parents already gone. "Figured." I muttered as I fixed myself some coffee into a thermos. My parents were pretty much never around. I guess the lives of a doctor and lawyer were pretty demanding. I finally dragged myself out of my house and climbed in my truck.

10 minutes later I pulled up to the park and found a scene that finally woke me up. I climbed out of my truck and walked over to a scene that I couldn't help but laugh at. Kya and Jenna were, under a tree, both pulling at Trevor, who was tangled in feet of fairy lights. They looked up at my laughter. "How did this happen?" I asked as sat on the grass and helped free Trevor. When Trevor was untangled and vertical again, Jenna explained. "Trevor was on the ladder hanging the fairy lights on the tree when Kya let go of the ladder to answer a text. As a result, Trevor slipped, grabbed the fairy lights, and fell." Jenna finished with a look at Kya. "In my defense it was that cute guy from the mall. I told him that we could meet up later, since I'm being kicked out." she replied innocently. I rolled my eyes in exasperation. "For the last time Kya: you are not being kicked out. Trevor just wants it to be him and Lilli." I told her. "Humph" was her only reply. When she found out that Zander and I were getting to stay but she and Jenna weren't, she was pissed. We'd explained to her twenty times already that Zander and I only got to stay because Zander was bringing Lilli and I was filming the entire thing.

After establishing that Kya could not be trusted to hold the ladder again and Trevor needed a break, Jenna and I took over. We developed a system. I would hang the lights, standing on the ladder, and when we needed to move, I would swing myself up into the tree as Jenna moved the ladder. It was slow work but after 3 hours we finished hanging the lights. Kya then left to go get ready for her date and Jenna left to bring back water. While she was gone Trevor and I left and went to the nearby store. We went inside to get two things: the first was the Sour Patch Kids that Kya had forgotten and the second was flowers and matching petals. We spilt up Trevor left for the flowers and I to get the candy.

Twenty minutes later, I found Trevor freaking out in the flower aisle. "Ava. I can't decide what kind of flower to get. What if she doesn't like them?" he said as he paced. He stopped pacing. "Oh no. What if I get flowers and then she's allergic?! Oh God. Oh God." he said, panic bleeding over into his voice. He breathing was getting faster and he seemed to be getting closer to a panic attack by the second. I grabbed his shoulders. "Trevor. Calm down." I said as I held him still. "Trev, it's Lilli. Sweet, happy, overly-cheery Lilli. She will love whatever you get her." I told him. He finally seemed to calm down a little. I let go of him and looked at the flowers.

He was right. I really didn't know what kind of flower to get her either. Then it hit me. "Trevor. Remember when you first hung out with Lilli on game night?" I asked him, my voice growing excited. "Yea...." Trevor responded. Then I watched as he realized what I meant. "Oh. OH." he said as it hit him. When we were playing a team game, Trevor had written Lilli's name as Lilly on the scorecard. She had corrected him and then said she wished that's how her name was spelled because that spelling always made her think of her favorite flower: the lily.

Trevor looked through the flowers until he found a bouquet of baby's breath surrounding a lily. "It's perfect." I told him with a smile.

We returned to the park to find Jenna there, waiting, waters in hand. We finished decorating the tree, hours later. We stood back to examine out work. It was beautiful. The fairy lights were wound around the tree and lily petals coated the ground. I turned to Trevor. "Alright. Go home, get ready, and be back in an hour. I'll be doing the same. Zander will be here with Lilli fifteen minutes after we're back here. Oh! Don't forget the bouquet and candy in your car." I told him. "Got it. Be back here in an hour, don't forget the flowers and candy." he said and headed for his car. Jenna gave me a smile before heading for her car. She had to go home and watch her little brother, Matthew. I was the last to leave. I climbed in my car and sent a text to Zander. "Leave for the park in an hour." I wrote. A minute later I got a response. "We'll be there. Love you." he said. I smiled and started my car.

  -- Don't forget to leave a like <3 --