Chapter One

The sun has barely broken through the night sky and training has begun. Ever since I turned ten, I have been accustomed to waking up early eating a small breakfast and making sure my bracelet in right in place, tightening it to make sure it goes nowhere.

  This morning, however, is different. The reaping will be this following Tuesday, while everyone in my class is excited to kill people. I'm just hoping I won't get picked,
I shouldn't be thinking that I really shouldn't. But, killing people for others amusement doesn't seem right, what did they do to me?
My fellow peers chatter loudly, and buzz about our future mentor...Damon Wilkins.

  He won last year's game by a land slide. Damon has always been ruthless and cold blooded, everyone expected him to win.
My parents bet a lot on Damon, and got back more money in return once he won,
I've never liked him, not one bit to be Frank I like that self conceited Finnick Odiar from district four better.

  "I bet Taylor will fail her exam," a snotty voice sniggers, this could only be Anastasia Naruto, she hates me and I hate her.
Well, nearly everyone hates me but that's not the point I'm actually returning the feeling.

  "Keep talking Anastasia and maybe you'll accidentally become an avox," I hiss, she looks to but with a deathly glare but acts as if I hadn't said a thing, and went back to talking to her rumored boyfriend Keen. Everyone hates him as well, but in the good way.
He's popular because they call him the next Damon Wilkins.
"Ok, people! Today, we have a guest, he's came a long way to speak to us so I suspect you keep your mouth shut or else," Our trainer shouts, we all turn our attention to him and nod.

  I can almost guarantee you, it's President Snow. Let's keep the whole thing short, because I really don't know much about him to be honest. Ok, so basically he rules the twelve districts which used to be thirteen until it got bombed and....well yeah that's for another day.

  He's about as a good a leader you can get, he has hair as white as snow his lapel is adjusted firmly with a white rose that fills the air with its aroma making me scrunch my noise in disgust and he's only dressed to impress. As of now, two peacekeepers stand by him as he gives a sickly smile to us.
"Well, we've made it to another year of the games, I know you all must be very excited," he says, hoots and hollers erupt from the crowd so I play along so I'm not suspicious like.

  Then he continues, "But, in the end only one male and one female will be chosen to enter the arena and give pride to their district, I assume you're all very well prepared for the reaping as of I, I hope the odds are ever in your favor....happy Hunger Games," everyone hoots and hollers again, talking loudly as of I, well I'm slumped back in the cold metal chair doing nothing.

President Snow takes notice of my placid look, aggressively poor posture, and how my eyes never leave his. More so, he's intrigued by this...the only time when he looks away is to tell his assistant something so I look away to.
Is it just me or does his eyes seem....snake like?

***

"Alright, that's enough Taylor I don't need to see anymore," My trainer says, I turn to him sweat trailing down my forehead and shrug. "It's not like I care anyway," I mutter, I drop the sword to the floor making a loud clatter and he looks to me furious.
"It just so happens, that you should care you got a two on your exam you're as good as dead if you step foot in that arena!" He shouts, I stare at him.

  He finally lost his sanity with me, wow, I give him my respect. "You're right, but I won't be the only one in that arena now will I?" I walk out of the room with a slam of the door.
Today, I definitely learned something not training nor school could ever teach me.

People change people.

***

"Hey, Mom" I greet opening the door of our house, mom casts me a smile. "How was training?" She asks, you see my parents always wanted to get chosen for the games but never did.
Anyway, they know with me they can actually get that unreached dream through me. That is if I get picked, "Great. Broke a sword today," she smiles and my baby brother laughs.