staycation ❆ anthony davis

harrisyn smiled to herself as she stepped out of the building she was staying at. this christmas, she was going to spend it with a couple friends in new orleans.

she couldn't bear to spend it back home where it was a mess — everyone was fighting; there was a bridezilla in the house; a father who disapproves of his daughter's fiancée; a relative with a drinking problem; even more relatives with questions about her life.

she turns her phone off to ignore the endless calls coming from her parents and siblings as she walked. nobody was going to change her decision about spending christmas away from home.

she walked into the small diner and took the long seat in the corner. she then fished her phone out of her pocket to text her friends about her whereabouts, then theirs.

she lifted her head off her phone and looked around. the diner was small, but it was packed with people. there were workers rushing around.

a certain person, had met his eyes with her. he wasn't very cute — but he had a look that wasn't very hard to forget his face. his lips stretched into a smile, which sent an overwhelming feeling of happiness within her.

gladly, she smiled back as well. what kind of person would she be if she didn't return the smile, right?

she looked away momentarily to greet her friend that had just arrived and when she looked around for his face again, he was gone.

as her friends came one by one, she slowly forgot this man. they spent the next few hours talking, catching up with their own lives.

then, they went bowling right after they ate. they were laughing loudly and poking fun at one another as harrisyn's bowling ball went straight to the drain.

she rolled her eyes and turned back to her friends, cussing them out. as she moved away to get herself some snacks they'd gotten, then looked around momentarily.

surprisingly, the guy she'd seen at the diner earlier was there too. he was with a couple friends at the end of the bowling alley. he notices her too and gave her a look; surprised himself that she was here too.

but he still smiled at her, nonetheless. just before he stepped forward for his turn, he smiled widely at her and gave her enough time to actually smile back through her surprise.

and when they left, she didn't even know that they did. by the time she and her friends finished their game, they were gone and her heart dropped.

the universe had to be saying something, right? or at least doing something in their favour.

by the end of the night, she asked her friends to drop her off by the grocery store near her hotel. they bid their goodbyes as if they weren't going to see each other again — but they were in a few more days again.

as she walked around the grocery store, she kept an eye out for the things she needed back in the hotel. she only needed to get a few, but she didn't know where anything was so it had taken just a bit longer than expected.

she turned into another aisle, then immediately faced the shelf. she'd finally reached where the juices were and she could use some back in the hotel.

"i swear, if you're following me." a deep voice made her jump and turn around immediately, making her hit her hip on her cart.

then she realised who it was. it was the guy she'd seen two times before.

she furrowed her eyebrows. "no, i'm not. are you following me?"

he raised his eyebrows. he didn't meet much girls who talked back to him like that and because of this, he could feel himself get more comfortable around her.

"well, if you're not, then why do we keep seeing each other?"

"you ever heard of this thing called destiny?" she smiled sweetly and said hurriedly, wanting to get her juice and just go to sleep.

"i don't believe in that," he scrunched up his nose, "destiny is just a stupid excuse for someone not to do something."

"but i didn't follow you around on purpose. so, explain that."

"i believe it's just a coincidence," he shrugged. he held his hand out. "i'm anthony."

she shook his hand and smiled. "harrisyn. so uh, can i get back to my shopping now? i am exhausted."

"yeah, sure!" he laughed. "do you wanna get dinner sometime? if we're going to believe in all this destiny stuff, we might as well please it, right?"

"sure," she laughed, grabbing a few bottles of juices then walking away. gladly, he followed behind her through the grocery.

they spent the entire time laughing and talking, and by the end of the night, they exchanged numbers. had the two adults smiling like idiots when they were going home.

harrisyn chuckled as she walked into the elevator in her hotel. destiny was doing both of them a favour, so she wasn't going to fuck this up.

KTtheWriter

hO HO HO HO HO THREE MORE DAYS LEFT TO CHRISTMAS AND I'M STILL BEHIND THIS BOOK OMG

I'M GONNA DIE. THIS BOOK WAS A COMMITTMENT AND I THINK I'M DOING PRETTY WELL, YEAH?