Chapter Nine

*Chapter Nine*

"Why does it have to be snowing?” I groaned, glaring at the white flakes through the window. It didn’t snow a lot in England, but I had never been one to ever like snow, even when we lived in America.

“I like snow!” Ryan laughed, putting on his boots. He had an afternoon shift at the bakery today.

“Well have fun walking through it. At least I get to stay in the nice warm house,” I smirked.

“Whatever. Just don’t do anything to hurt your foot again,” Ryan pointed at the cast on my ankle.

“It wasn’t even my fault!”

“Just be careful and don’t go anywhere today.”

“No shit Sherlock. Like I’d go out in this weather.”

“It’s barley snowing,” Ryan said exasperatedly as he head towards the door.

“Yeah, yeah,” I rolled my eyes.

I heard the door slam and I sunk even lower into the couch.  It had been three weeks since Calum had broken my ankle. Luckily, the break hadn’t been a bad one so I had one more week and the cast would be off. So until then, I was basically holed up at home, unless I was at school or working a rare shift at the bakery. I flipped through the channels, nothing good coming up. Sighing, I stood up and walked into the kitchen, looking for food,.

“I’m pretty sure you’re not supposed to be walking,” Luke’s voice ran out from behind me.

“And I’m pretty sure it’s rude to sneak into someone else’s house,” I smirked, turning to face him.

“I’m fairly certain you were the one who told us boys that we were allowed over whenever.”

“I’m actually thinking that was a mutual agreement between our moms.”

“Whatever,” Luke laughed. He moved more into the kitchen. “So whatcha looking for short stuff?”

“Food! Duh.”

Luke rolled his eyes , but a smile played on his lips. “How about I make you something? And don’t give me that look!”

“I guess I can trust you,” I laughed.

“You can. Now go lay down,” he instructed.

“But I’ve been laying down all day!” I whined.

“Em,” Luke raised his eyebrows, giving me a warning. “I will tickle you.”

He smiled at me,  making my heart flutter.

I thought we were over this, I snapped at myself. I was not going to allow myself to do this. Not only would it hurt me and Luke, but it would kill Calum. Yeah, Luke had been my favorite, but favorites could always change. Couldn’t they?

“Can I at least stay in here?” I pleaded. I jumped up onto the counter.

“Why not? I’d rather not be by myself,” Luke smiled at me again. Making my heart flutter. Again.  “So how are things going with you and Calum?”

Good. A topic I could do well on.

“We’re good,” I shrugged. Truth was, I didn’t know. Calum and I had only hung out at my place since we became a couple and usually at least one of the boys was around.

“Just good?” Luke asked, eyebrows raised.

“Yep,” I responded popping the p.

“Oh come on. No juicy details?”

“If there were any details, you guys would already know.  Calum and I haven’t been alone yet.”

“Wait. He hasn’t taken you on a date yet?” Luke looked at me in bewilderment. I just shook my head. To be honest, I was really upset about that. It had been three weeks since he had asked me to be his girlfriend. And we hadn’t gone on a date! Sorry if I’m wrong, but I thought it went first date, first kiss, and then the girlfriend question.

“He hasn’t even suggested it.”

“I’ll have to talk to him about it,” Luke promised.

“Go for it,” I said lamely. “What?” I asked when Luke looked at me weirdly.

“Are you positive that everything between you and Calum are okay?”

“I don’t know. I just feel like we rushed into things.”

Luke nodded for me to continue.

“I feel like he doesn’t even really like me that much. Like he just thinks he does and because he was so upset about hurting me, he felt like he had to make up for it. He’s a good friend, but not my best friend and that’s what I always felt my boyfriend would feel like to me; a best friend.”

“You know, I actually agree. I mean, Calum talked about you and thought you were pretty, but he never seemed into you in that way. I was surprised when I found out he asked you out. We all were.”

“Really?” I asked, shocked.

“Yeah,” Luke confirmed. “It’s like he only asked you because…,” Luke’s eyes widened and he cut himself off. His jaw was set and his shoulders seemed tense.

“Because what?” I asked. I was worried now.

“Because nothing,” Luke smiled weakly. “One bowl of macaroni and cheese for you,” he palced a bowl full of cheesy goodness in front of me. “ And one for me.”

“Because what Luke?” I asked again.

“Emmaline, I said it was nothing,” Luke said, a little more sternly this time. I knew I wasn’t going to get anywhere with him. Whatever it was, it definitely seemed to bother him.

“Let’s go put a movie in,” I suggested. He nodded and we walked into the living room.

 If Luke wouldn’t tell me, then I would have to coax it out of one of the other boys. 

***************************************************

A/N~ Hey guys! I hope your enjoying it and thank you so much for reading! I don't care if you vote, but can you comment to tell me if you like it or not? It would mean a lot. Thank you! xx