Chapter Three: Kakashi's Test

Start from the beginning

    "Well, most of them got the idea," he said staring back at Naruto.

    "I'm going to be the one to get a bell Sensei!" He yelled confidently.

    Naruto charged at Kakashi. They engaged in a short lived battle using Taijutsu. That was battle technique number one. It ended with Kakashi's 'thousand years of death' which was just him poking Naruto in the bum and sending him flying into the nearby body of water.

    Round two started with Naruto flying out of the water with a group of Shadow Clones. Oh yeah, Naruto had stolen a forbidden scroll and learned an advanced clone technique called Shadow Clone. It produces solid clones to where you can't tell which one is the real user. This round was over quicker than the first one.

    Kakashi outsmarted Naruto by using Substitution Jutsu and replacing himself with one of Naruto's clones. Zemaria was closely observing everything and knew what had happened. Naruto saw a bell lying on the ground. Of course without thinking about it, he tried to grab it. And of course Kakashi had a trap set.

    He came out of hiding while Naruto dangled above from a tree to explain he needed to see through deception. Zemaria took this opportunity to strategically throw three kunai with paper bombs attached in Kakashi's direction. They hit him and exploded but he had used Substitution again to dodge them.

    "Damn it. Why did I think that would work?" She muttered and quickly ran to find a new spot.

    Zemaria, what were you thinking? You gave away our positions, Sakura thought as she too ran to find a new spot to hide.

    Sasuke went in search of another spot as well. Sakura found a hiding spot behind a bush. Kakashi was facing away from her on a path below. As she hid, Naruto cut himself down from his imposition only to land himself on another trap. Eventually he got himself out of it.

    "Good, he didn't hear me," Sakura sighed relieved.

    Kakashi snuck up on her, "Hey Sakura."

    Sakura let out a scream and passed out. Kakashi stared a moment unsure of what had just happened. When she woke, Kakashi was gone. Sasuke appeared covered in blood and kunai. She of course... passed out again. It was simply a Genjutsu. That was battle technique number three. Ninjutsu was number two.

    Zemaria spotted Kakashi. She knew better than to confront him directly unlike Naruto. She also wasn't dumb enough to be tricked by a Genjutsu. Waiting for an opening, she carefully watched his every move. Finally that opening came.

    "I have to say, you're a lot stealthier than Naruto and not fragile like Sakura," Kakashi stated.

    "I'm not like them or Sasuke at all," she insisted.

    "Let's see about that then. Bring out all you've got!" He readied himself.

    She did a few hand signs, "Earth style: quick sand Jutsu!"

    The earth under Kakashi's feet began to soften and started spinning. Kakashi started sinking. He looked shocked. She followed with Phoenix Flower Jutsu which shocked Kakashi even more as Gennin should not be able to use fire style so soon. He was trapped. Then again this was Kakashi we were talking about.

    He found a way to avoid the fire style by using his own Earth Style. Kakashi tried head hunter Jutsu but Zemaria was too smart. She leapt up into the air and avoided him. She stood directly in front of him now. Staring dead into his eyes she used a paralyzing Genjutsu on him.

    "No way! Gennin definitely shouldn't be able to use Genjutsu at their level," he said in utter disbelief.

    "Are you scared of seeing your own death Sensei?" She asked him grinning.

    "How is this possible!? First Fire Style which takes up way too much Chakra to be able to use and now Genjutsu!?" He didn't know what to do.

   Zemaria's vines crept up to him. They started winding around his legs making their way up. A second set of vines shot up from the ground and grabbed his arms. She swiftly walked over to him, set into her eyes. Kakashi could see how cold and dark they were. She snagged a bell from him.

   Holding it up she said in an equally cold voice, "Thanks for the bell Sensei."

     Releasing the Genjutsu and the vines, she simply stood back and let her vines wrap around her waist and carry her off. As she floated away she let out a dark laugh.

    "What the hell just happened?" Kakashi questioned.

    How could a Jounin of his level let a Gennin get the best of him like that? As he stood there confused and for once a bit scared, Sasuke made his move. Unfortunately he didn't have as much luck. He got close enough to touch a bell but that was it. Kakashi had gathered himself and snapped back to reality focusing all of his attention on Sasuke.

    Sasuke had also used a Fire Style Jutsu. His was Fireball. By now Kakashi wasn't so surprised after having his round with Zemaria. Eventually the timer that was set had gone off indicating it was Noon. They all met back at the posts. Naruto was already tied to one for trying to steal a lunch box.

    Kakashi sounded disappointed, "Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke you all fail. None of you were able to get a bell from me. The only one who was able to was Zemaria. However, I'll give you another chance. Eat lunch now to build up strength. There's one rule though, no one feeds Naruto. He thought he could be a smart ass and eat his lunch early. His punishment for that is being tied to the pole and not getting lunch."

    "Awe come on Sensei! I was just so hungry!" Naruto pleaded.

    Sakura simply asked, "Sensei, how exactly did we fail?"

    "Simple, Sakura you were wrapped up being worried about Sasuke. Sasuke was caught up in revenge. And Naruto was only thinking of himself. If you want to get the bells then you need to work as a team. Why do you think there's squads of four people? In this case, a total of five including myself," He explained.

    "Easy, when you work as a team together you can have each other's backs. You can protect one another and work more efficiently," Zemaria answered for him.

    Kakashi glanced at her and then the others, "Right. It's teamwork. If one of your teammates is in trouble and you need to make a quick decision you need to know how to work together in order to get out of that situation."

    The three of them looked down in disappointment and failure. Kakashi handed Sasuke, Sakura, and Zemaria a lunch box and disappeared. As they began eating, they heard Naruto's stomach growling. What were they to do? Kakashi made it clear they weren't allowed to feed him. They did it anyway.

    Sasuke explained to Sakura that Naruto would be of no use to them if he was hungry. Sakura then offered him her lunch seeing Sasuke's point. She held her box up to him but he pointed out that his hands were tied and she'd have to feed him. Zemaria snickered watching them.

    Kakashi appeared in an angry cloud, "What did I say about feeding Naruto!?"

    The three of them freaked out. They tried to collect themselves. Zemaria continued watching feeling amused by all of this.

    "You- you told us we needed to work as a team!" Sakura spoke first.

    "That's right Sensei. Naruto is no good to us if he's hungry and weak!" Sasuke chimed in.

    Kakashi closed his eye that wasn't covered and smiled, "You pass."

    All three asked, "What!?"

    He said it slower, "You... pass."

    "How?" Asked Sakura.

    He explained that they figured out what others could not. Previous squads had refused to help their comrade when one had been tied to the pole and told they weren't allowed to eat. Only they figured out that in order to complete a mission successfully, all their squad members needed to be at 100% even if it meant bending the rules.

    Now that they were officially Squad Seven including Zemaria, Kakashi announced they'd have their first mission the next day. They all left to go home. Well, all of them except Naruto whom was left tied to the pole. The squad carried out many D ranked missions which are designated for Gennin and Chuunin. Naruto of course complained about every single one of them.