• F i f t h •

Source: Mental health daily

•••

#5. Drug Addiction / Substance Abuse

People that are addicted to drugs and/or abuse drugs or alcohol on a consistent basis are more likely to become depressed.

Many people use drugs to escape painful feelings of depression and hopelessness of their current life situation. Being addicted to drugs or alcohol may provide some short-term relief from the pain that they feel, but over the long term, drug use tends to alter brain functioning and neurotransmitters.

Eventually a person will build up such a high tolerance to whatever drug they are addicted to, that they won't experience anymore lift in mood that they got when they first started using. In many cases, substance abuse can temporarily change the way we think by altering neurotransmitter levels and overall brain function.

If you have an addiction, it could escalate to feelings of deep depression. You may feel helpless to overcome whatever addiction you face and some people see suicide as an only way out of the addiction trap.

Prevention:

- Drug abuse can be illegal, please know of the consequences of your actions before taking any step further.

- Before any further steps in to alcohol, drug or substance abuse, please think of your family and friends. Think of the negative impact you'll be causing.

- In case of addiction, quitting as soon as possible is required. This may be hard to overcome, but with the support and willpower, you'll be able to do anything.

- Finding a new hobby or distraction can provide to be advantageous.

- Exercise, indulging oneself in work, school or any other activities can be helpful.

- Throwing away any drugs/ alcohol/ substance of addiction, so that you can't have any more will be helpful.

•••

Thank you for reading. Feedback is welcome.

— Team no_suicide

@Night_fury96 (admin)
MissManagerK (admin)