• F i r s t •

Source: Mental Health Daily

•••

#1. Mental illness

Among the causes of suicide, mental illness is most common. Although there are a variety of treatment options for people with mental illnesses, they are far from perfect. Most people end up trying a variety of psychiatric drugs and/or talk therapies. After years of trying various medications (and cocktails), going through medication withdrawals, and experimenting with therapies, some people are stuck in a constant state of mental pain and despair.

Mental illnesses awareness is as important as suicide awareness. Knowing about mental illnesses can help you have a better conversation with those dealing with mental illnesses.

Given below are a few mental illnesses. If you want us to add another mental illness to the list, tell us in the comments or message us.

Anxiety: Having generalized anxiety, social phobia, panic attacks, or obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) can drive a person crazy. Some forms of anxiety make it extremely difficult to maintain friendships, finish school, or hold down a steady job. In short, having anxiety can make it difficult to live a good life. The combination of loneliness and fear can lead a person to contemplate suicide.

Bipolar disorder: There are a couple of subtypes of Bipolar disorder, but essentially it involves fluctuations in mood from states of severe depression to elevations in mood such as mania and hypomania. These mood fluctuations can make it difficult for people with this disorder to maintain relationships and a balanced life. Additionally, the depression can lead a person to feel suicidal.

Depression: Major depression is a leading cause of suicide throughout the world. People that do not treat their depressive symptoms have a greater risk for following through with suicide. Individuals with major depression are typically genetically wired in a way that makes it difficult to feel pleasure and happiness in life. 90% of people who commit suicide suffer from untreated depression.

Schizophrenia: This is a highly severe mental illness with an array of symptoms including severe depression, hallucinations, and cognitive impairment. Having this illness makes it difficult to function in life and can serve as a major challenge due to the fact that most medications to treat this illness carry severe side effects. Anywhere from 20% to 40% of people with this illness attempt suicide.

Prevention:

You can help prevent suicide due to mental illness by:

- Talking to someone reliable. (In case a person feels unable to rely on anyone, please message us.)

- Making them feel comfortable and not pushing them out of their comfort zone.

- Helping them in big or small situations and being patient with them.

- Reassurance is the key to winning the heart of someone with mental illness. They need to know that you're with them 24/7.

- Talking with a counselor or a therapist can help prevent suicide attempts. (In case you can not talk to a therapist or a counselor, please message us.)

•••

Thank you for reading. Please spread the message.

Feedbacks are welcomed.

— Team no_suicide

Night_fury96 (admin)
MissManagerK (admin)