Chapter Four-Part Three

Start from the beginning

   Well, love is blind.

   He had never thought of knowing about her family a little bit more, for he thought that it was unnecessary at this point. Little did he know that the truth would finally appear by itself, and right now, he was already introduced to her father. There were more stories she had never once told him about, and there will be no sleep until he knows everything about his girlfriend. His inquisitivity had gone up to new heights.

   Mo Yeon placed a glass of water on the coffee the coffee table as she reluctantly took her seat on the same sofa her father was sitting on as Si Jin sat at the opposite direction facing her father. She had this anxiousness mixed with nervousness on her face, and she avoided eye contact with her father even though her father seemed to be glad to be able to see her. "Why are you here, appa? What do you want?" She asked flatly, uncertainty evident on her face as well.

   Her father took the glass and drank the content in sips. Glancing at her with grateful eyes, he answered calmly in a fatherly tone. "I want to see you, my daughter." He studied her side profile. "Seolma, you are very beautiful, just like your eomma." He praised with a weak smile.

   Per mention about her mother by her father, she finally stared straight at him. "Jinjja?" She inquired. "Am I that beautiful to you....abeoji?"

   Si Jin could sense the somewhat mocking tone of her voice in that last question. He could tell from the bottom of his heart that she was utterly displeased by his praise. He kept silent though.

   Her father could sense it too, as he saw the slow, gradual change of expression on her face from a face of uncertainty mixed with sadness to the one with a slight flame of fury. It was greatly evident in her eyes, which was glaring in a rather dangerous stance which can kill a man. He knew that she was fuming in rage right now. In fact, she already was right before she sat on the sofa. Her heavy breathing told it all. "It must be hard for you, Mo Yeon-ah, and yes, you are beautiful to me." He replied with a smile despite knowing that in that emotion of fury, no sweet words from his mouth would work to seal the excrutiating pain inside her heart.

   "Then why, abeoji? Why? Why did you leave us?" She darted the questions to him in a tone of anger. "After all these years, why did you bother coming back now? What took you so long?"

   Her father simply stayed silent as she relented frustratingly. It would be better for her to let it out now than to pretend about her feelings. "Mianhaeyo, my daughter." He expressed guiltily. "I know that whatever I say right now will never change what I did. Mianhaeyo."

   "Mianhae? After all you've done, mianhae is the only thing you can say?" Mo Yeon hissed.

   "I know that it won't help, but please listen to what I have to say–"

   "What more do you have to say, appa?!" She interjected, eyes going teary. "What more do you want to say?! Do you think that if I listen to you, I will forgive you?!"

   Her father went silent once again, not knowing how to reply. He realised that she was still not ready for him just yet. It would be too much for her if he insisted with his way. Besides, she's his daughter. He never wanted to see her hurt again, after all the pain that he had inflicted on the family. It would be cruel of him to bring back that pain again.

   His reluctance to reply to her question was seen by her as a sign of hesitation, or cluelessness, or just plain ignorance–closely synonymous to the way he was when he left them to fend for themselves. That really broke her heart, for despite her not wanting to listen to his explanation, she sincerely hoped that he could shed some light for his reasons. Tears fell on her cheeks as the fury that accompanied her sorrow enveloped. "Daedaphaeyo.." She voiced out in a pleading tone instead of a furious one. She still had a certain degree of rationality in her. "Wae daedapi eopseo?"