(Caboose x Freelancer!Reader)

"Hey, Wash?" You called to your fellow former freelancer. He stopped his work on the radio tower and shouted back, "Yeah?" "Have you seen Caboose? I can't find him anywhere," you explained. The light blue and yellow clad male replied, "No, I haven't. He probably just got lost when he went on his walk." "I hope it's just that..."

In all honesty, you were worried about the blue soldier. He was like a clueless child that needed to be protected from even himself at times. That was your job; to keep him safe. Though, he seemed to be really lucky. Maybe nothing bad would happen and you were just over exaggerating.

You walked around for a bit, trying to find any traces of the boy. Nothing. Feeling like there was nothing you could do, you turned back and walked to the base. When you got to the radio tower, the reds and Tucker were there. They were celebrating something, but you didn't know what.

"What's with the celebrating?" You asked no one in particular. "We're going to be saved!" Simmons cheered. You felt a wave of relief. "That's great news," you smiled. Suddenly you heard footsteps coming up behind you. "What are we yelling about?!" A familiar, childish voice shouted. "Caboose!" You and Wash yelled.

Sure enough, there he was, perfectly safe. "Where have you been?" Wash inquired. "I went on a walk, like you said, and now everything is going to be good, forever!" Caboose shouted happily. Sarge cut in, "Told ya so." "Wait. Caboose, you were miserable. What happened?" Wash asked.

"Oh, heh. Where are my manners? I haven't even introduced him."
"Introduced who?"
"Freckles! Come!"

Caboose whistled, then heavy footfall shook
the ground. Around the rock wall and over the metal bridge walked a huge, mechanical robot. And by huge, I mean HUGE!

"Everyone! I would like you to meet Freckles! Freckles! Say 'hello'," Caboose introduced us. The robot, somehow, grew even taller than before, faced Simmons and Grif, and spoke in a robotic, monotone voice, "Enemy soldiers detected."

Caboose tried to explain, "No, those aren't enemies, Freckles. Those are Grif and Simmons. Our enemies." "Firing main cannons," the robot declared as the cannons on it's left arm began to flare up. Caboose intervened, "No! Bad Freckles! Down!"

Freckles shrunk back down and the cannons cooled down. "Yes, master." "Bad Freckles," Caboose scolded the mech. "So, what are you guys up to?" Caboose turned to ask you guys like nothing happen. You were staring at him wide eyed. "Uh, Caboose?" You called to the blue. "Yes," he replied. You asked, "Is that thing... safe?" "Yes! I'm not sure, but yes!" He answered. You sighed at his answer.

"Don't worry, Ms. (s/n)! Since you are the princess, we will protect you!" Caboose declared. You deadpanned, "I don't really need protection..." "Are you disobeying my master?" Freckles asked as he aimed his machine gun arm at you. You answered quickly, "No! I would love being protected!" The robot lowered his arm.

"Dodged that bullet, literally," Grif muttered. After that, Caboose wouldn't leave you alone. He'd argue about him protecting you while you slept, but Wash agreed with you that sleep was private time. It wasn't just Caboose that was driving you nuts, it was the fact that Freckles would go wherever Caboose went. So, no matter where you were, you had to watch what you said.

"Caboose, I have to change. You can't look," you insisted. Caboose began to protest, "What if someone-" "CABOOSE! JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!" "... okay." You didn't want to yell at him, but he wouldn't let you have any privacy. After you got changed, you went out to not find him anywhere.

"Caboose? If this is hide-and-seek, you're not gonna win!" You shouted out. Nothing. You walked out of the base. "Okay, this isn't funny!" Nothing, again. "Caboose! You're scaring me now!" You bolted around the canyon looking for the blonde. You finally came across a cave full of materials and Freckles was standing outside.

You didn't say anything to the robot, but went in. "Caboose?" Silence. "Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings." "It's fine. I'm not sad," his voice cracked. You finally found him sitting at the back of the cave, cradling his head in his arms. "Really? Cause you look pretty upset to me," you replied.

He looked up at you with big, baby blue eyes. "Hey," you greeted him as you sat next to the soldier. He hugged you, "I'm sorry!" You patted his head. "I should say that I'm sorry," you insisted. "Ms. (s/n) is always right. That is the rule I made. Wash said it was good, so it's a rule." "What about Tucker?" "Tucker's stupid. He doesn't count." You laughed.

"Caboose, you know you're adorable right?" "Does that mean dumb? Because Tucker calls me that all the time," the blue questioned. You answered, "No, it means you're cute."
"No."
"What?"
"No."
"No?"
"You are cute. That is correct."

You blushed a little. "Thanks," you thanked him. "Ms. (s/n)?" "Yeah?" "Tucker said I should kiss you, but I don't know what that means." You took off your helmet. "Then I'll show you," you stated. You kissed him, but he didn't do anything. He then put a little pressure in it. You pulled away, "Is that a good enough apology?" "Yeah, but for one more, I'll make cookies," he answered.

"I'll take that offer."

------------------------------------------------------

Sorry that this took so long. School is a pain.😞

I will have the next one-shot out as soon as I can.

Leave requests in the comments and I'll see you guys next time!

Bye!

- J_fox11

------------------------------------------------------