Chapter Fifteen: The Boy

I was pulled out of my blissful sleep by a faint knock on the door. I instantly wrapped the sheets around my bare body, remembering where I was.  I propped myself up on my elbows and yelled for whoever it was to come in. The door creaked open to reveal a young boy. Seeing him took me by surprise and my heart dropped at the sight of such a young person in such a damning place. He shyly walked through the door and I could see that he was carrying a pile of clothes.

“Where should I put these, miss?” Hearing his innocent voice all but destroyed me. He couldn’t be over the age of ten.  His bright blue eyes held an emotion that I couldn’t quite comprehend. “Miss?” His voice brought me back to reality and I patted the end of my bed. He hesitantly stepped forward and placed the clothes gently down. He was about to turn to leave before I reached forward and grabbed his tiny arm. He whipped his head around, confused as to why I stopped him.

“I’m sorry, but I didn’t get your name.” A small smile played at his lips before he surrendered it to me.

“Gage, miss.”

“Well, Gage, you really don’t need to be calling me miss. It makes me feel like an old hag.” He smiled a toothy smile and I took that time to let him go. Suddenly a loud rumbling sound filled the air. He looked shyly down at his stomach and I realized that it was him that made the noise. The poor lad. The closer I looked at him, the more I realized that he wasn’t as healthy as a boy his age should be. He wasn’t completely starved but it was getting there. His lips were chapped and he was covered in dirt. My eyes roamed around the room to try and find something that would help this boy. My eyes zeroed in at a tray with food that someone must have brought in when I was sleeping. I turned back to Gage and smiled warmly at him.

“Wait here.” I said as I wrapped the sheet around me like a towel and padded over to the tray. I brought it back to the bed and nodded for him to sit. He plopped on the squishy bed and I sat right next to him. I set the tray in his lap and waited for him to dig in but he seemed very confused.

“Go on, Gage. Eat up!” His eyes widened and he looked at the door before turning back to me with a look of fear in his eyes.

“I couldn’t, Miss. This is for you. If Ash were to find ou-“

“He won’t! Plus I’m not hungry and even if I was, they will bring more food later. So please,” I grabbed a piece of bread and tore a piece off, “Eat.”

He still looked hesitant, so I got up and grabbed the chair that was by the desk. I picked it up and walked over to the door. I sat it in front of the door and then sat down on it.

“There, now they can’t get in without it being very clear.” Gage smiled and then began digging into everything. I grinned, happy that he was getting some needed food. Not even a minute later, all the food was gone. He placed the tray on the bed and looked at me, not knowing what to do now. After our awkward stare down I sighed and stood up.

“Let me at least get you cleaned up.” I walked to him and took his tiny hand in mine. I then led him to the tiny bathroom. I grabbed a rag and wiped all the grime from his face. When I was finished I stood back and examined him.

“Well, Gage. That’s the best I could do without anyone becoming suspicious. You feel better?” He didn’t say anything but instead just stood staring at me. What he did next, I would never forget. He ran forward and wrapped his thin arms around my waist. I was stunned at first but then responded, pulling him into me. My heart broke for him and I couldn't help but wonder how he ended up here. I kneeled down so I was eye to eye with him.

“Gage, why are you here. How did you get involved with pirates?” His eyes darkened and began to rim with water. He quickly used his arm to wipe at his eyes, wanting desperately to appear brave. After a couple seconds of silence I had given up all hope on him telling me. But to my surprise, he began to speak.

“My mother died during child birth and my Papa, well he never wanted me. Especially after I killed his one and only love. He became our village drunk and everyone thought him crazy. One day the town had new visitors. Ash and his crew docked and came into town. They had been attacked and needed a place to stay while their ship got repaired. They didn’t exactly ask nicely. They held our tiny town hostage and terrorized us. My father thought he could get some gold from them. Oh how he loved to gamble. Ash and his crew found him funny and accepted his proposal. My Papa promised them piles of gold and diamonds and they did the same. They started their game of cards and it wasn’t long until my Papa was beat. But when the time came to pay, he didn’t have the money. Ash was about to run him through, but that’s when he offered them something else.” Gage stopped, tears running freely down his face. I bit my lip, fighting the tears that threatened to escape from my own eyes. I needed to stay strong for him.

“You don’t have to finish, Gage.” I said as I rubbed my hand in circular motions on his back.

“No, I want to. So my Papa told Ash about me and begged for his life. His life in exchange for mine. Ash accepted his deal and my father led them to me. I was back in our small shack when they came storming in. I remember it like it just happened. Papa pulled me up from my bed and dragged me in front of Ash. He told him I would grow up into a big strong man but that they could kill me if that’s what they desired. Ash nodded and two men grabbed me and dragged me behind Ash. Ash slowly stalked forward to my father, dramatically drawing his sword from its sheath. He said to my father, ‘You are pitiful. What man sells his sons life to save his own skin? You are no more fit to be a father than you are to be breathing air. You are a coward and will die a coward. It was a pleasure doing business with you.’ He then ran him through. I’ve been with Ash ever since.” He finished and all I could do was pull him into a hug. My heart broke one hundred times over.

“Gage, you can come to me anytime. I will keep you safe, okay?” I felt him nod against my shoulder and slowly pulled him away. I could feel tears falling down my cheeks, betraying my wished. “I will get you out of here, I promise. But for the meantime, I want you here tomorrow at the same time for dinner, okay?”

He smiled a soft smile and hugged me again. I soft knock on the door made me jump. Gage tensed up and stepped back from me. I brought my hand up to my lips, telling him to be quiet. I then walked over to my door and moved the chair out of the way. I opened the door slightly, only allowing my head to peak out. Troy was standing on the other side with a debatable look on his features.

“Emery, hey. Uh I just wanted to let you know that we are pulling into a port and will be visiting town. Be ready in an hour.” With that he spun on his heels and walked away. I stood there awkwardly and watched his back as he retreated. I closed the door and leaned against it. One minute he is kissing me and the next he’s avoiding me like I’m the plague. And men say women are confusing.

_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_

Oh my godness I can't even express how sorry I am. It has been three months since I updated! Honestly, I was really struggling with this story but now I think I have worked everything out. I hope you liked this chapter and there will be more soon! And I won't be in three months! If you liked it, pleae vote and if you didn't, please vote. I love when I get comments from you guys. It really helps me to keep going. I hope you had a lovley Christmas of Hanukkah, etc. Have a great day! :)